My Japanese N Scale Diorama - NEW Dinning Table Layout

JR 500系

21 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

FINALLY!

After many months of waiting and planning and running our brain juices dry, the carpenters and me have finally came up, and completed, the dinning table with layout!

it is HEAVY! AND LARGE! But it works and I am very happy with the result... The carpenters also did a great job making it look really nice! Now we can finally start building the layout again, and the model railway now has a permanent place to be in regardless where I move to in the future!  :)

20170912_180228.jpg

20170912_180232.jpg

20170912_203238.jpg

How the heck did I miss this post, this morning all I saw was the display case.  That looks awesome! Is that 3 pieces of glass that can easily be removed.  What's with the miniature furniture? :)

2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

How the heck did I miss this post, this morning all I saw was the display case.  That looks awesome! Is that 3 pieces of glass that can easily be removed.  What's with the miniature furniture? :)

Thanks Junior! Yes the 3 pieces of glass on the top can be removed, but not that easily as it is quite heavy, around 14 kg or so per piece, but still movable... just needs to be really careful with it...

Also, the gaps in between the glass panels are putting me off a little... I'll need to buy a transparent yet durable and thick plastic sheet to cover over, so that the table can be freely and safely utilized as its intended purpose, a dinning table. Right now, we are taking WAY too much precautions using this to dine... haha

Just thought that mini sofa cover for the tissue box looks really cute!  :)

58 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I missed it too! Wow that's a table layout! Going to be fun watching it come together! Have fun Sammy!

when do you all move in?

jeff

Thanks Jeff! Yes it will be fun (and also tough) to build it all over again... We moved into the apartment for around a month now, but the carpentry just got installed on Tuesday.. we finally had a nice place to dine!

Also, the poor guys had a hard time bringing in that huge table... I think I might have a hard time too moving it out in the future...

Edited by JR 500系

The spot lights for the display case were also installed yesterday, and boy I really like the overall look!

One picture shows with the ceiling downlights on, the other just the spot lights on

20170913_211900.jpg

20170913_211844.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really nice looking downlights on the cabinet.  One thing I am not sure if you have thought of, or whether or not it might be a problem, is if you need some sort of transparent UV blocking film on the cabinet of the glass, to make sure that any models that you display do not turn yellow over time.

• Like 1

I like how you have the recess in the tables frame so that you will be able to build the layout on boards and then fit them inside without losing any headspace, also it makes it a lot easier to run your wiring underneath, do you have a shelf that could bolt on the side of the table to fit your controllers.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
10 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Also, the poor guys had a hard time bringing in that huge table... I think I might have a hard time too moving it out in the future...

Layouts can be like building boats in basements... so just don't move! 

jeff

11 hours ago, VJM said:

Really nice looking downlights on the cabinet.  One thing I am not sure if you have thought of, or whether or not it might be a problem, is if you need some sort of transparent UV blocking film on the cabinet of the glass, to make sure that any models that you display do not turn yellow over time.

Thanks for the headsup! The spot lights would be switched on most of the time, just a short while whenever someone comes over to view, something like a spot light for the museum thingy... so I hope the short exposure to the lights isn't too much for the train bodies to handle...

10 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I like how you have the recess in the tables frame so that you will be able to build the layout on boards and then fit them inside without losing any headspace, also it makes it a lot easier to run your wiring underneath, do you have a shelf that could bolt on the side of the table to fit your controllers.

Actually that wasn't my idea, more of the carpenter's idea due to functionality and strength for the table, as the groove recess was formed by having beams along the downside of the table to support the weight of the glass and its intended load above, and to hold the legs in place.... The recess could cause a little layout building issues as it sorts of make the layout space smaller, though I can make the elevated tracks a bit larger as they span over the beams...

I am surprised by how much MORE headroom space the recess had given me... my usual plan is 150mm height, and ended up the recess gave me 170mm! A welcomed surprise indeed, which means I can either try to make an additional overhead track, or have slightly higher buildings ~

6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Layouts can be like building boats in basements... so just don't move! 

jeff

Thanks Jeff! I do hope I wouldn't need to move though, but I foresee myself moving in 10 years time as that is when my new place is matured and can  reap in a good profit so I can spurge on more trains!

Use LED spots and you should not have any issues with UV. Halogens and even incandescents do emit some UV so best not used. of course best to keep the lights off the display when not needed as visible light can eventually yellow plastics, paints and decals some with enough time.

i wonder if a layer of like 080 styrene would be good on the bottom of the layout area to protect with moisture from the table bottom there.  could make walls as well to protect the edges as well and painted as needed then w/o touching the table. basically build a big tray to fit into the recess. sheets of styrene can be bought cheaply at a plastics or sign shop in 4'x8' sheets and cut with a matte knife.

jeff

Just finished un-packing my trains (which I am feeling right now that I really should absolutely stop buying more trains)....

And placing them up on the display!

(Some of you who are my facebook friends might have seen them on my facebook page)

On display from top to bottom, left to right:

300系 Tokaido Shinkansen, 100系 Grand Hikari

N700A系 Tokaido Shinkansen, N700-8000系 Kumamon & Kurochan Kyushu shinkansen

700-7000系 Hikari Rail Star, 500系 Kansengar 40th Anniversary

100系 Lime Green Kodama, 500系 EVA

200系 Renewal Color + 400系 Tsubasa Old color

E1 MAX former color, 200系 H-formation

E2 Hayate + E3 Komachi

E4 MAX + E3-1000 Tsubasa

E4 MAX new color + E3-2000 Tsubasa new color

E3-700 Toreyu Tsubasa, E926 East-i inspection shinkansen

E5 Hayabusa + E6 Komachi

E7 Hokuriku Shinkansen, 923系 Doctor Yellow

Odakyu 50000 VSE Romance Car, Odakyu 7000 LSE Romance Car, Kotoden Kotochan Hiyaku Go

922-0系 First Doctor Yellow, Kiha 40-2118 4th Kitaro Train, Kiha 40-2118 3rd Kitaro Train, HB-E300 Hybird Resort Furusato, Keihan 8000系

No prizes for guessing what that gap in front of the Toreyu is for!  :)

*All shinkansens are not in prototypically correct formations due to lack of length to display...

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(6).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 09.16.56.jpeg

Edited by JR 500系
Disclaimer
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Wowsers, and this is just your little Shinkansen collection. :) So how often are you going to change the trains being displayed?  

Yes if there is a window throwing sunlight on this it's best to put uv film on those windows. Film may not look so great on the display cabinet glass and can easily get nicked up. Other option is to use museum (uv coated) glass for the cabinet doors. It's not cheap but it will filter out a lot of the uv and is super clear and optically coated so less distortion and glare on it. It's the glass they use for museum displays and photo protection. Even then if you have a window facing the case it's best to put uv film on it as the museum glass won't filter it all out and it will yellow things with long exposures.

jeff

• Like 1
19 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Very nice. Looking at that during dinner must leave you drooling.  :grin

Thanks! Yap ~ And it boosts the appetite!

18 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks for sharing!  Was the display case a custom order as well?

No prob, happy to share! Yes it is a custom made display case, done together with the dinning table and the rest of my new house renovation works ~~

18 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Wowsers, and this is just your little Shinkansen collection. :) So how often are you going to change the trains being displayed?  

Hi Junior yes it is really only just a little Shinkansen collection, though I did forget to display the E2 Suica and the 800 series.... 

That would depend... cause the main reason the shinkansens are up there, aside from the fact that they look really cool and most people would recognize them straight away, is that the shinkansen cannot run on the new dinning table layout due to limited radius... But if time permits and the looks get boring, I might change them to regional display like JR East, JR West, JR Central etc., or have a private rail display with the Odakyu, Tobu, Kintetsu etc...

8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Beautiful Sammy! Is the hole for the genbi e3?!

jeff

Thanks Jeff! Haha I guess that would be too easy for the true fans of Shinkansens yeah?   :)

7 hours ago, Densha said:

Very nice display Sammy! Just want to warn you from sun light  directly shining upon the display to prevent yellowing.

Thanks! Yap I considered sunlight when I was choosing the spot for this and I have picked a really nice spot whereby there is absolutely no way that sun could shine on it ~~  The only thing I do worry now is switching on the spot lights for too long shinning directly on the trains... but I guess everyday for less than 1 hour continuously should be fine?

7 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Yes if there is a window throwing sunlight on this it's best to put uv film on those windows. Film may not look so great on the display cabinet glass and can easily get nicked up. Other option is to use museum (uv coated) glass for the cabinet doors. It's not cheap but it will filter out a lot of the uv and is super clear and optically coated so less distortion and glare on it. It's the glass they use for museum displays and photo protection. Even then if you have a window facing the case it's best to put uv film on it as the museum glass won't filter it all out and it will yellow things with long exposures.

jeff

Good idea, but I really don't like the idea of the film on the transparent clear glass for display... I hope it's fine for now ~~ 

Good planning Sammy, in the event of an evacuation the trains are near the exit. Man, is there anything you didn’t think off when you had the flat built. 😀

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Awesome! Are there 2 rows for each level?

Thanks buddy! Yes there are 2 rows for each level... but the top most level back row is all the empty bookcases... the contents are already up on the display shelf~   :)

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Sly boy Sammy, hiding half the trains! I'll have to try this!  ;-p

jeff

Haha thanks Jeff! Actually that wasn't my initial intention as hiding the back row means I myself may forget what's behind there! haha !  It just happened so that the depth of the cabinet was done up just nicely for 2 rows of book cases... call that a nice planning!  :)

19 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Good planning Sammy, in the event of an evacuation the trains are near the exit. Man, is there anything you didn’t think off when you had the flat built. 😀

Thanks Junior! What a great idea, I didn't think of that, really! It just happened that the entrance was the only space I had left to fit in a storage cabinet.... and now I feel quite bad having almost 60% of the storage just for my N scale stuff.... 

I m getting to a point now where I ve got too many trains to fit on my layout so in the summer I designed a very simple cabinet to put in the shed to display the ones I could nt fit on the layout,having seen yours Sammy I feel quite embarrassed and do nt think I ll bother😂😂yours looks fantastic mate👍👍