Urban Backscenes

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

As part of my ongoing research for the new club layout - see thread on Club News - I have been considering how the layout sits within the scenery. One of the aspects of scenery that is currently occupying my thoughts is the backscene. I have carried out some searches on the internet, however cannot find any Japanese cityscape type backscenes. These do exist for UK, US and European scenes, however does anyone on here know of a source for a Japanese version?

Thanks in advance.... :)

Hi Claude,

I have been wondering about the same thing.  I wonder if you type in Japanese city names plus the word diorama.  Would that work?

CaptOblivious

A quick search of Flickr with "Tokyo panoramic" has turned up quite a lot of goodies…

Panoramic Tokyo 16000 X 2000

West Side Story - Tokyo Panoramic

and lots more.

It likely wouldn't be hard to convince at least one photographer to permit you to print a copy for a backdrop.

SubwayHypes

I need this exact same thing for my layout, how would one go about doing this??  I only have your standard printer.

I guess i will have to add this to my japan shopping list, i have a feeling i might be able to find a backdrop poster at the roppongi towers in Tokyo, because they have that huge panamoric view of tokyo tour.

Hypes, you might want to check your printer preferences - many have provision for printing one large image on multiple pages, often known as "tiling". Otherwise, you could find a commercial print shop that does banners or posters, and they could outpuit the image on a continuous sheet.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hypes, Doug made the backdrop himself, using a panoramic photo given to him by Dick Harris. I've seen it in person, I'd say it's very effective.

Cheers,

Mark.

SubwayHypes

Wow your lucky to have seen that layout in person, his setagaya urban center is literally my dream and what i try to model my city on.  Its just so realistic, it tops many layouts that i have seen in japanese n scale magazines.  One thing his layout also inspired me to do is more kitbashing with buildings.

Wow your lucky to have seen that layout in person, his setagaya urban center is literally my dream and what i try to model my city on.

Well, Doug and I both live in Sydney, and I'll go to any exhibition here that has his layouts on display. Like you, I've always thought Setagaya was the duck's nuts, but I think that his new layout is even more impressive. My club will be exhibiting a layout at Epping in June, and Doug tells me he will also be there with Enoshima, so I'm really looking forward to going.

As a teaser, here's some photos (not mine) of Enoshima at a recent exhibition in Canberra.

http://david.bromage.org/gallery/canberra2009

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. The "Palden Hill' layout is my club's layout, BTW.

All the best,

Mark.

SubwayHypes

^Man if australia wasnt a 14 hour flight i would be so happy to come visit that train exhibition! Seems like you aussies really got your japanese N scale stuff down!