Evangelion freight car

CaptOblivious

Krackel Hopper

Looks awesome... Only thing I can't figure out is why it's over 2,000 yen... seems a bit expensive for a single car...

This is a heavy hauling shiki style car.  The "regular" n-scale versions from MicroAce are $175+

- The N scale versions are nearly a foot long, so I'd venture to guess this "Shorty" is still in the 5 to 6 inch range.

Also - There is the licensing, you're paying a couple dollars for "Evangelion" and "NERV" decals..

I have two on pre-order  :cool:

I don't know about the movie, but as Krackel Hopper observed it looks like a heavy-load ShiKi Class B (or D, or possibly C) of the 800 series, and is described as a ShiKi 880, a type I'm not familiar with. In the west, this type is known as a Schnabel car. It's designed so the ends clamp to the load in the middle, which becomes part of the structure.  They're used for moving large transformers, tanks, refinery apparatus, etc.  Usually in a dedicated train with a couple of spacer flat cars on each end and a caboose for the attending staff.

Here's a Japanese wikipedia page on the 800 class, with some photos.

The only "deformation" appears to be a shortening of the ends.  A normal ShiKi will have LOTS of axles per end, the 800s usually have eight, and this one only has four per end, which is similar to lighter-weight "heavy" flat cars (the kind with a solid structure from end to end). I think it could work quite convincingly as a real car. And if some rivit-counter complains, tell him the fewer axles are "selective compression".

I think the price is quite reasonable from that perspective.

its the height of the transformers that throws all this off. the shikis usually have long low transformer slung between the ends.

they are great models, have both. quite amazing when running. actually very good runners.

jeff

Hi! Ahh Yes Evaneglion, one of my all time fav anime!

I have the Remake movie version, which features brand new (more beautiful) animation, coupled with nicer looking mechs and graphics. The story line has also been cut short to accomodate the series version into a 1.5 hour film. It's definately worth it to watch!

For this freight train, my guess is that during 'Yashima Opereration' in the movie, the ENTIRE Japan's electricity was diverted to the Evangelion Test type unit 01, to prepare for a super long range shot at an angel. A little background, the earth was attacked by 'angels' (year 2014) after the 'second impact'. Evangelion was created to battle these angels, and children born during the second impact (year 2000) and 14 year olds can pilot these mechs. There are 3 basic units, Unit 00, also known as the Proto Type, (the blue/ orange robot), pilot by the first child, Ayanami Rei. Test Unit 01 (the purple robot), pilot by third child, Ikari Shinji (the main character), and Production Type Unit 02 (red robot), pilot by the second child, Soryu Asaka Langray.

The electric cables and cooler units were transported via trains to Yashima (a mountain) for snipping at the angel from long distance. I'll try to upload a movie showing this from the original movie later, but for now, here is a little teaser movie i found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSutgqZOmSg

Enjoy!  :grin

hhhmmm that is really wierd. I can see it fine on my cpu though, but cant view it on my mobile.. You guys having the same problem? Any other sites can suggest for easy upload and viewing?

Can anyone suggest where i can upload without creating an additional account? Really wanting to share with you guys this video which i editted from the original video showing clearly the DD51 with the electric generator cargo...

Can anyone suggest where i can upload without creating an additional account?

I don't think that's possible. I know google picasa and flickr also allows videos, niconico is a Japanese video sharing website where you can upload to too. It also has many interesting anime and train videos that you can't find on youtube so it may be not be a wasted account. Though I have to mention that to view you have to register.

While I'd love to see the video (how many cars were used in the scene?) I went ahead and reserved one with the matching DD51. It's just too intriguing of a car to not have in my collection....