My 10th trip to Japan

westfalen

Locomotive of shinkansen rail welding train that was stabled for the day in the spare platform at Toyohashi station. I was going to get shots the rest of it the next morning but it was gone. There was a similar loco at the other end, several rail carrying cars and a car with weldig equipment that welded the rails together as they were fed out to the track.

Incidentally, do the "broad gauge" DD13s for Shinkansen work train use still exist or have they been dispensed with?

Cheers NB

west,

great tomytec and sankei prototypes there! signs for the garage will be useful!

enjoying the vicarious trip very much!

jeff

West - Love the photos but is there a story to the statue of a cow dressed up for Xmas?

It was the mascot of a cheese cake shop at Takasaki station dressed up for Chistmas like the colonel Saunders at KFC.

• Like 1
How come two E4 Shinkansen trainsets are coupling at Takasaki?

Takasaki is a location often used to lengthen E4 consists.  For example a Max Tanigawa service from Gala Yuzawa will arrive first, and then the following Max Toki service from Niigata will couple on.  The 16 car train will then continue on to Tokyo.  One advantage of this is that formerly two trains now only take up one slot on the congested Tohoku Shinkansen route from Omiya to Tokyo.

We are back in Tokyo at the Toyoko Inn at Otsuka for a couple of nights before we head home. Might post some more photos tomorrow, I just realised it's 1 am. Time flies when your having fun. :grin

Nice photos westfalen, I hope you're having a great time.  Are you getting some good food while you're there?

post-218-1356993148998_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931490507_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931490891_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356993149143_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931491827_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931492235_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931492615_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931493116_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photos westfalen, I hope you're having a great time.  Are you getting some good food while you're there?

The last two are in the dining car on the Hokutosei.

post-218-13569931493483_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931493901_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931494892_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I feel like homer simpson looking at a pizza...

jeff

That's one thing I've never tried over here.

Here are a few more of the 930 photos I've taken so far.

post-218-13569931495786_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931496247_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931496566_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931496934_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356993149731_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931497625_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931497942_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569931498264_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Westfalen

An excellent selection of photos from your latest rail  adventure.

How was the ToyokoInn at Otsuka?  I see it is on the Yamanote loop. Very Handy! Is there easy access to the station? Is it a safe area to wander around solo late at nite on your way back to the hotel? any nearby restaurants to the Hotel? ( I have wondered if it might be a good place to bunker down there for a few days rather than at Shinagawa station where I have stayed previously)

cheers.....Eisenbahn

A glance at the prices in Otsuka seem a bit cheaper than the more well-known Tokyo locations (such as Shinagawa).  I do find that the Toyoko Inns in the more central locations tend to be stingy on the breakfast offerings- typically only cold bread, coffee, and juice.  I tend to load up with a hot breakfast so I don't have to eat lunch (or just have a light meal, like tachigui soba) so the onigiri, miso soup, salad + bread, juice and coffee typically offered at Toyoko Inn's outside of central Tokyo are much appreciated.  Of course, if you're a light AM eater, no issue here.

Safety should be no issue.

Thank you for the drooling pictures!

I love the old man by the station photo, and also the Komachi + E2 picture as the E3 Komachi is one of my fav shinkansen...

JR East recruiting? Nice! Good to see they are actually using the E6 and E5 in the background!  :grin

Great drooling pictures! I bet JR must be frowning they sold you guys the JR Pass ~~  :grin

Hi Bikkuri bahn

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately the Toyoko Inn at Shinagawa station only has a western breakfast. As you, I prefer a hearty and healthier Japanese breakfast. (And a light lunch on the run at a rail station cafe or a bento box on a train. )

The ToyokoInn at Otsuki has a Japanese breakfast as well as being on the Yamanote loop and close to Nippori and the Skyliner.

Another way I have done it before is just to stay out at Narita and commute in each day. If you have a JR East rail pass and intend riding the network each day you have to get into Tokyo Station anyway...the NEX is a comfortable and convenient way as any. Airport Hotels tend to be cheaper than downtown ones in Tokyo.

I was in Tokyo earlier this year and (unfortunately) I wont be back in Tokyo again until mid next year. Seeing the photos forum members publish (including Westfalen's latest) of course make me want to just jump on the next plane and head over.

cheers...Eisenbahn

That's some really nice pictures over here!

I really couldn't imagine it's possible to visit so many railways in such a short time.