DE10 & DD51

Densha

Thanks for the info!

That's true westfalen.

I think the very last thing to find out is the TN coupler thing. After looking at pictures it seems that Tomix's coupler is smaller and more realistic than Kato's alternative coupler. But what if I use rolling stock from both manufacturers together, is it possible to fit one coupler to all rolling stock? Would it be more appropriate starting a new topic about that?

Martijn Meerts

The couplers aren't compatible, and it's not easy to add Tomix couplers to Kato trains and vice versa. I've opted to get my freight mostly from Tomix, MicroAce and Kawai since they can (mostly) take the Tomix couplers although MicroAce has started doing their own couplers as well, which I believe aren't compatible with the Tomix ones.

I also noticed in the Kato catalog that there's three types of knuckle couplers and they are somehow compatible with eachother but not always. All in all very confusing.

Tomix has much more container cars, but Kato has some other types I would perhaps get someday, while Wamu's and such are available from both. The only thing I can think of is creating sets with locos and cars with the same coupler, but it's not really convenient. The coupler holders are very similar, but perhaps not the same?

I thought the choice would be easy now, but apparently it's not.

Whoops, I forgot to ask if there are any advantages over the couplers?