LEGO goes high speed!

Tecchan

Sweet buy! And sweet girlfriend!

It's a nice train, but i thought it was rather expensive due to the fact that it was non-motorised and needed the PF function pack to run it, and also it required two sets to make a complete train...

Lego sure knows how to make $$$

Have fun building!

Considering the number of bricks, it's not especially expensive for a LEGO set. Even rather cheap compared to certain boxes (licensed sets such as Star Wars or Disney can easily cost 50% more than the regular ones in equal number of blocks).

If you want to motorize it (I think I might do it someday) you have indeed to spend almost the price of the set for the complete PF equipement. But part of this equipement (batteries, remote) can be used for multiple trains.

The main economical advantage of PF are the tracks: as they are pure plastic now, they tend to become really cheap compared to the old 9V rails. So building a long trackplan gets cheaper! But yeah, the first investment is a bummer…

Edited by Tecchan
Martijn Meerts

Over here they often have these special sets on sale. You basically get a freight train set (powered, with an oval of track), as well as either a train station or small container terminal, 2 switches and additional track. Separately they go for about 250 USD, but on those special sales you often get them for just over 100 USD. I've been tempted getting one of those sets every time I see it on sale, but they're always on sale when I have a big order from Japan coming in ;)

but they're always on sale when I have a big order from Japan coming in ;)

Don't you always have a big order from Japan coming in? :grin ;)

I once saw some hand made flex track, I think it used 0 gauge rail with 8x2 plates as sleepers.

Martijn Meerts
Don't you always have a big order from Japan coming in? :grin ;)

Good point, I'm trying to cut down though.. I don't have that much on pre-order any more ...

(having said that, I'm expecting to get a 'new items' email from Hobby Search with about 5-6 trains I really really want ;) )

Yes Martijn, i'm guessing you are referring to these sets?

66325, 66405 & 65801? I've attached the pictures here below.

Basically they are 3/4-in-1 value packs, and are often only sold in Japan. However, Sillypore has agood relation and you can find some of these 'bonus' packs here, and they certainly are WAY cheaper than buying them separately of course. However, the PF functions are very expensive. Tecchan is right about being able to use the PF on various trains, but that would mean one of the trains have to have their PF removed and hence becoming a static display. The controller has several channels whereby one can actually control multiple trains using one controller, much like DCC, but the IR receiver, the motor and esp. the ION rechargeable type battery box are not cheap. They have hence switched to batteries though, but that increased the overall weight of the train and hence reducing the power greatly. I still keep all my Lego trains (being a train fan and all), and i still prefer the old 9V system. Yes the tracks are very costly and probably very hard to find now, but the system with it's electronic benefits has much more power in the locomotive and travels way faster than it's battery counterpart. My 4512 (DD-51 lookalike) can easily pull almost 6-8 carriages, but it's battery counterpart locomotive 7939 can't... Switch the 9V motor to the 7939 and it does the same beautifully...

The plastic tracks are way cheaper, hell that's even a China clone brand that works perfectly fine with the Lego one! However, one of the main reasons i switched from Lego to N gauge was the vast amount of space one would need to layout Lego trains... It's almost absurb!

HHhmmm Martijn you make me wonder what trains you ordered....

post-819-0-58571200-1358337136_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-76405600-1358337137_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-15132800-1358337139_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

@JR500

I have the 'superpack' on the left. :) I don't really like that remote control system though, the 9V system looked much better and you don't have to hassle with batteries.

Martijn Meerts

Those are the sets I'm talking about yes. Been close to buying the one in the middle (with the yellow freight loco) several times already. I haven't kept up to date with the Lego train systems recently, so I'm not really sure what's the latest there.. I used to have old system with the blue track, as well as the grey one with the double centre track, but in a moment of stupidity I sold it all off cheap ...

As for what I've ordered, nothing special really..

- Kato E6 base set + add-on

- MicroAce Seibu series 3000 Galaxy Express 999

- Modemo JNR old type passenger car set (10 cars)

- Modemo Enoden Type 1100 Skip Enonkun go

After I get those I'll probably put a temporary halt on train purchases (except for some special/painted trains anyway) and start spending more on layout material, digital gear, interior light/coupler replacement/interior details and most importantly get decoders installed in most my trains :)