LEGO goes high speed!

Tecchan

As you may know, I'm an AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO). And of course a LEGO train fan. I don't have enough room at my appartement for both Jtrains and LEGO so they are sitting carefully at my parent's home for the moment.

But with this news, I'm definitely starting LEGO purchases again!! At first I thought it was a MOC (My Own Creation, stands for custom builts) because MOCers like to make fake box views, but it turns out this is actually a set coming out next year (or just before Christmas)

lego-horizon-express.jpeg

And I just have one thing to say: WOW!!

It's kinda cheap for a set this size (comes without the Power Function motor though) and with two sets you can make a complete 6 cars train with two end cars!

One of my favorite details is the shared bogie between the two passengers cars, like the real TGV. I can't wait to have it, this is without a doubt the best looking high speed train LEGO ever made!

Here is the press release:

10233 Horizon Express

Ages 14+. 1,351 pieces.

Build the ultimate high-speed LEGO® passenger train!

US $129.99 CA $149.99 DE 99.99€ UK 79.99 £ DK 899.00 DKK

Fly down the track in the Horizon Express! Collect this highly detailed LEGO® interpretation of a modern, high-speed electric passenger train! The detailed body features black train windows, brick-built chevron detailing, extendable pantographs, printed windscreen and brick-built doors. Remove the roof to play inside 2 detailed passenger cars! Steer from the front engine car with, a control panel and brick-built electrical box! Then take to the tracks in luxury with the first-class car’s seats, luggage, newspapers, computer screen and even a bathroom with sliding door! The rear car features a bar with hinged counter, tables for the passengers with seats, a coffee machine, cups and bottles. For the ultimate high-speed experience, attach a second Horizon Express model, or motorize it by adding LEGO Power Functions! Hard-to-find elements include orange LEGO bricks (including 6×28 chassis plate) and printed tiles.

• Includes 6 minifigures: female train engineer, male train steward, 2 female passengers and 2 male passengers
  • Features 3 train cars, detailed engine room, printed windscreen, black train windows, brick-built chevron detailing, extendable pantographs, seats, a bathroom with sliding door, bar with hinged counter and tables with seats
  • Accessories include luggage, newspapers, computer screen, coffee machine, cups and bottles
  • Discover sideways building techniques!
  • Ride the rails in high-speed LEGO® style!
  • Upgrade your model by adding LEGO Power Functions 8878 Rechargeable Battery Box, 8887 Transformer 10V DC, 8884 IR Receiver, 8879 IR Speed Remote Control, 88002 Train Motor and 8870 Lights
  • Train measures 31″ (79cm) long

Source: The Brothers Bick

More high res pictures: Flickr Gallery

• Like 5

That's very unexpected. They didn't release much trains based on real models lately and now we get this. I won't buy it though, gotta stay with N gauge which I barely really started with.

Martijn Meerts

I think I need to buy this...

For my parrot ...

So he can sit perched on it while I drive it around ...

Because he'll think that's fun ...

(Interestingly, I've been considering getting a Lego train and/or one of those Mindstorms sets the past days after seeing this video, so the timing on the TGV is a sign ;))

edit: just looked at the pictures, bit of a shame if you get 2 sets for a 6-part train that you'll end up with a double bogie in the center rather than a shared bogie..

• Like 2

edit: just looked at the pictures, bit of a shame if you get 2 sets for a 6-part train that you'll end up with a double bogie in the center rather than a shared bogie..

This will probably be the first thing I will work on when I get those sets! :-)

Tough part will be getting enough orange parts, it's an unusual color.

I could also spend some time trying to render the original logo. Count on me to report all of this, I know I will get two sets of this baby! :-)

tgv-logo.png

so the timing on the TGV is a sign ;))

It depends on how you look at it whether it can be a good or a bad sign. ;)

I think it's cool, but I experienced so many times that I decided to get something suddenly and afterwards I didn't really use it. Now I overthink things before getting something. :P

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Kumo, isn't there an option to design your own things on the Lego site, and then place an order for all the bricks in that design? I seem to remember seeing something like that. You could design a bogie replacement and get all parts that way. Also, I know there's a huge Lego store in New York where they sell single bricks of various shapes and colours. There might be more such stores, otherwise get some in/close to New York to buy you a bunch =)

I also like the piece count on the set. With a lot of the modern Lego stuff, you get a fairly small amount of pieces and a lot of parts are these 1-off customs specifically for that set. I really don't like that. This set however has 1351 pieces :)

Densha, probably a bad sign. Then again, the parrot might actually like riding around on a train. I could use by 0-scale stuff, but I'd rather not have him nibbling on that, it's a bit more expensive than a Lego train :)

There's some website that you can get separate (2nd hand) bricks from too, but I forgot it's name as well.

I don't know the pricing, but you can always get a second hand Lego set from somewhere for your parrot, especially if he's gonna nibble on it. I'm expecting high prices for the TGV, even not counting the separate costs for all electrical features and tracks.

Martijn Meerts

Who's gonna have a 2nd hand Lego TGV though? =)

That said, a decent, fairly sturdy and large-ish parrot toy can easily cost 30-40 euro, the Lego TGV is estimated to cost around 100 euro. I'm sure the Lego will last much longer (after all, he'll have 1300+ bricks to nibble on :))

Kumo, isn't there an option to design your own things on the Lego site, and then place an order for all the bricks in that design? I seem to remember seeing something like that. You could design a bogie replacement and get all parts that way. Also, I know there's a huge Lego store in New York where they sell single bricks of various shapes and colours. There might be more such stores, otherwise get some in/close to New York to buy you a bunch =)

Yes, you have two ways to get what you need:

"Pick a brick", the name's pretty obvious: you choose what pieces you want and order them.

The LEGO Digital Designer (LDD) allows you to build your model on the computer and directly order what you need through the site.

I'll see what I can do with the two sets before. There's a small chance lego thought of it and you have the spare parts inside tous set, but I wouldn't count on it too much! :-D

It's been a long time since I've been that excited by a LEGO set. I can't wait to get it!!

Martijn Meerts

If there is an official solution by Lego, it'll be an additional add-on set with the required bricks (probably costing almost as much as a 3-car set =))

I've always liked Lego, always regretted selling my old Lego, and while I've always been thinking of getting some new stuff (I like the trains, the technic and the mindstorms stuff), I never got around to it. This TGV set might just push me over the cliff though :)

The Emerald Night released a couple of years ago was a pretty neat steamer! Too bad they never made additional cars…

emerald-night.jpeg

The Emerald Night released a couple of years ago was a pretty neat steamer! Too bad they never made additional cars…

emerald-night.jpeg

My nephew kitbashed two of these to make a garratt.

If this is some teen's application for MIT....they're in!!

I looked at the credit, this was designed by one person....unbelievable! One how did they think of something like this and what was the final cost?

I think I need to buy this...

For my parrot ...

So he can sit perched on it while I drive it around ...

Because he'll think that's fun ...

(Interestingly, I've been considering getting a Lego train and/or one of those Mindstorms sets the past days after seeing this video, so the timing on the TGV is a sign ;))

I would like a Lego Shay.

Seconded! Though I would like to see it on L-gauge, just to see the parts moving, since that's what Shay's are all about (mostly).

0-general1.jpg

Mudkip Orange

It's interesting how small the windows are... almost an answer to "what would TGV rolling stock look like if it had been manufactured by Budd?"

I received it this weekend!!

395993_473488906020999_100813101_n.jpg

Or rather them, as I wanted a full train! :-)

Once more it's a present from my girlfriend, last year she offered me the Kato Re 460 plus two IC2000 coaches and this year a LEGO train. She knows how to make me never leave her! ;-) (just kidding)

I started the construction yesterday night. The number of pieces is bigger than I expected and the bright orange is really gorgeous!

The building is a delight, as expected the chevron symbol as fun as expected to make!

I'll probably post more pictures on Tecchan or pictures of the building on Tecchan's Facebook Page.

Edited by Tecchan
  • Like 1

Sweet buy! And sweet girlfriend!

It's a nice train, but i thought it was rather expensive due to the fact that it was non-motorised and needed the PF function pack to run it, and also it required two sets to make a complete train...

Lego sure knows how to make $$$

Have fun building!