great wire strippers

cteno4

just got a fantastic new pair of wire strippers. i had a nice old pair of auto strippers (that grasp and strip when you pull the handle) but it was the kind that you had to hit the notch for the gauge of wire you were stripping. these broke. id been given a couple of cheapo graspers that just have a single blade but these were pretty awful action and horrible strip job.

these are nice grasping ones that have blades on both sides of the wire. it does a very nice job on everything down to 31g stranded wire ive tried so far! the grasping ones with the notches gives a tad cleaner cut around the insulation, but really not an issue with a bit more raggy cut on the insulation. on the really fine wire the grasping treads can make some indents on the insulation, but purely cosmetic. i think if i were to put a piece of drafting tape over these grips they would still work fine on the fine wire and stop the denting.

these kinds of gripping strippers are a must if you work with short bits of wire as trying to hold them to pull them thru a traditional pair of strippers is impossible.

even has a little adjustable gauge to stop the wire so you get the same amount stripped repeatedly. You can also strip 4 or 5 fine wires at once in it.

really one of the best tools ive gotten in a long time. very well build almost all metal and nice action. nice long handles that lets my large hand grip with ease and get very good leverage and control on the pull. $16 on amazon with free shipping from a third party.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYTCG6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

im a happy wire camper!

jeff

I had a pair of those when I used to make electrical distribution boxes. Very good indeed. 

They did break after 3 years of continual heavy use though. However, for the cost, I considered that fair and promptly bought another pair. They were stripping wire of up to 4mm CSA.

hey thanks guys for info, sounds like they should do the trick for a while! ive had maybe 7 or 8 different gripping strippers like this over the years and only that one pair really held up well but getting the wire into the proper notch was a pain and not fast if doing a lot of wires. this seems to do well and hopefully with your reports it will last! yeah i thought $16 a fair price if its a quality tool that does the job well.

i have a couple of other neiko tools (great lever hole punch set for sheet metal) and loved them. although it does not say neiko on the tool itself, only on the package and tool has K.Y.P on the back of it.

memochan, were you stationed on a sub or did you mean subcontractor?

cheers

jeff