New wheelsets and couplers for Kato Taki 1000s

Ken Ford

I just received a used set of green JOT Taki 1000 tanks to go with my EH200.  Now that I actually have something to run together, I want to tweak the cars and locomotive a little to improve appearance.  I don't need automatic uncoupling on these, dummy couplers would be fine.

The EH200 came with a set of knuckle couplers in the box, so that's a no-brainer.  It looks like Kato 11-702 are the proper replacements for the Taki 1000s, and a package is on the way.

The wheelsets in the Taki 1000s are a little scary with pizzacutter flanges.  I'm considering replacing the wheelsets with something having a nicer profile since they are so visible on these open platform tanks.  Can anyone suggest wheelsets that have worked for them in these trucks and save me the science project?

I just received a used set of green JOT Taki 1000 tanks to go with my EH200.  Now that I actually have something to run together, I want to tweak the cars and locomotive a little to improve appearance.  I don't need automatic uncoupling on these, dummy couplers would be fine.

The EH200 came with a set of knuckle couplers in the box, so that's a no-brainer.  It looks like Kato 11-702 are the proper replacements for the Taki 1000s, and a package is on the way.

The wheelsets in the Taki 1000s are a little scary with pizzacutter flanges.  I'm considering replacing the wheelsets with something having a nicer profile since they are so visible on these open platform tanks.  Can anyone suggest wheelsets that have worked for them in these trucks and save me the science project?

Try Fox Valley Models wheelsets. That is at least what Alvin has used on his cars.

Cheers NB

Try Fox Valley Models wheelsets. That is at least what Alvin has used on his cars.

Cheers NB

I'd wondered about those; they look quite good. Are they about the right scale size for this application, can you say? Better question, do they look and run well on Japanese freight models?

Guest Closed Account 1

I havent heard of anyone disappointed in their Kato wheels unless tbey dropped them or stage them in the dirt.

What is the part# on the truck?

In the Kato catalog they show their wheel sets.

If its a 4.1mm wheel then it's the same as most of Katos trucks. The flange you speak of was designed for low rolling resistance.

I have not had a Kato car yet that needed extra weight.

100 pack of FoxValley wheels is around $60.

I'd wondered about those; they look quite good. Are they about the right scale size for this application, can you say? Better question, do they look and run well on Japanese freight models?

Capt'n,

As I've said, Westfalen (Alvin) tried them and seems to be satisfied with their performance. I also want to try them, both for N and HOn30 usage, however at the moment I'm refraining from buying anything else except decoders - no more trains before all my N scale stuff goes DCC!

Cheers NB