Problems w/Digitrax TF4 decoder

Bernard

I tried programming my TF4 digitrax decoder by the instructions that Digitrax included. I says to program the decoder before installing it. I set it up with the black and red wires attached to the programming track and when I went to add the address I got an E-2 on my Lenz 100 system. I retried it 3 times and got the same error message. Any solutions?

Here is the link for the decoder:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_statdec_tf4.php

CaptOblivious

I don't know what "E-2" means, but, here's a shot in the dark.

Did you attach any kind of load to the decoder? It cannot send a response without a load attached to draw current.

Digitrax assumes that you going to put this in a loco that already has a decoder. If this is, e.g. going in a cab car or a car without a decoder, you don't have to worry about programming it before you install it. Indeed, you can use the Decoder Lock feature to program it once installed, even if there is another decoder in the same loco.

So, I'd say, go ahead and install it, then see what happens? I think it will all be well in the end.

Martijn Meerts

Most decoders won't work if you don't connect the motor leads to an actual motor. That confused the hell out of me the first few times I tried to test a decoder =)

Martin - Since this is a decoder for head & tail lights, do I still need to attach it to a motor?

Another question, in the instructions it says not to duplicate the address code even with the train it will be part of, but if it controls a different function does it matter?

CaptOblivious

Martin - Since this is a decoder for head & tail lights, do I still need to attach it to a motor?

Another question, in the instructions it says not to duplicate the address code even with the train it will be part of, but if it controls a different function does it matter?

DO NOT attach the TF4 to a motor. You will damage the decoder. The TF4 is function-only; Martijn is thinking of a motor decoder when he says that.

alpineaustralia

I have never installed a TF4 but I can honestly say that I have never pre-coded a decoder.

I just install and then program on a service track.

I think that is what I am going to do from now on, just install the decoder into the car. Thanks everybody.

Bernard - when i read this post over on Trainboard I didn't realise you had not yet installed the decoder. The guys here are spot on, the decoder needs a load of somewhere around 60mah. Just install it and the lights will provide sufficient load to program it.

Don't worry about what Digitrax says regarding not having decoders on the same address. All my MU's work just fine so far with 3 decoders per train on the same address.