Some Nice Storage

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys,

I have a friend who has these great storage shelves. I have a few vehicles that I'd like the boxes (cranes, so I can safeguard the parts) but I could not find an easily accessible storage for vehicles, trains small parts etc until now.

http://www.organize.com/project-table-chest-6-drawer-lg.html

You can find these for a bit less $ at various craft stores.

What I like is that it can be wheeled under the layout but also that it has a usable top; and they are clear so you can find items.

Also good for paints, scenery items etc. 

I think the trick is to get more shelves than you need so you can fill them ASAP!

Cheers

Rick

Rick,

These are great, i have probably a couple of dozen different ones around the house and shop for all sorts of stuff from office to hobby to misc storage. i get them on sale at the office supply places usually and sometimes at wallyworld. they are about the best bang for the buck around for small storage. some use them for train car storage in individual boxes. when we first moved from california to dc i had to set up a temp office as stuff was in storage for a few months and 5 of these and a hollow core 2' wide closet door made a perfect work space and storage and i still use it now.

one thing to look out for though is the larger units that have larger, wider drawers or taller units tend not to be worth using as the superstructures just dont hold up under even their own weight over time. they end up warping and sagging all over the place. i tried a few in the shop that were like 4' tall that had 8 or 9 drawers and w/in 6 months they began to sag and lean. granted there is some heat in the garage in the summer and i put some weight in them, but not excessive weight, maybe a pound or two per drawer at most. i am thinking i may eventually just salvage the drawers from them and build a little wood frame to hold the drawers. the larger ones just push the envelope too far for this superstructure design and weight.

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Jeff..

My friend had all sorts of stuff in his shelves and that seemed so useful for sorting as well as dust control! Its handy to store vehicle boxes or just lay some foam and keep the items sans box.. The shelf height is just about right and being plastic the whole thing is not heavy but also wheels.

I got an IKEA wooden storage maybe 10 years ago for storing HO cars and its great except that its hard to locate things and weights a ton.

I've been using clear plastic boxes for storage but these end up being mostly air-filled so take a huge amount of room and as you pointed out can start to weight a lot.

I think its time Tomytec released some more vehicles!

Rick

Thanks Guys...

I just got 4 of these at Michaels for $40 (on sale). I'm really behind on paperwork and may use  them for that first!  I need to sort out a ton! But I think I'm going to try to kit-bash structures this winter and will use kits, card stock and other materials. These drawers will be great for that as well as paints, pastels etc.

Up to now its been hard top find something that is clear plastic and not too large.

Cheers

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

I just found these today...

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-759-kp-xlpho.aspx

This is like a small briefcase that contains 12 small 4" by 6" boxes (see the blow-up photo). I did not try to see how many vehicles it can store but it seems ideal for that.

Unfortunately hobbies always result in organizational chaos for me so I'm planning ahead!

I think for the first time I have a layout plan floating around in my head or maybe that's just specs of dirt on my glasses!!!

Rick

Wow mongo sized! They also have these small boxes in a box of six. I've gotten a lot of them over time on sale. Just the right size to hold tomytec vehicles and all sorts of little stuff like parts, electronics pieces,etc.

Jeff

• Like 1

I have a friend who has these great storage shelves. I have a few vehicles that I'd like the boxes (cranes, so I can safeguard the parts) but I could not find an easily accessible storage for vehicles, trains small parts etc until now.

I use these as well, both for loose parts like electrical jacks that can't sit on a shelf easily, and for "flat pack" stuff like decals, Kato's various packs of trackside and streetside poles and fences, the Casco paint-on-sheet-plastic fencing, etc.

They're also good for storing loose Tomix/Kato/etc containers (the ones that go on model trains, not Kato boxes).

Mine are black with transparent drawers, rather than white.  I think I bought them at a local office-supply store (maybe a Staples, but it's been a while).

• Like 1