Sushi Train's Layout

Sushi Train

Sushi Train

Hello, my name is Jansen and I'm a Japanese n-gauge-aholic. I love Japanese trains exclusively.

I just finished building my layout base yesterday and it will be primarily an elevated Shinkansen track layout but the other tracks will have more variety in them (I hope  :-\) The plan is for 5 tracks- 2 Shinkansen, 2 express/freight and 1 short line all Uni-track. (But all of this can change at any time, I keep coming up with new ideas)

My base is in my garage and is 9ft by 4ft because of a lack of space at home, I've put it on lockable rubber wheels that enables me to move it out from the wall very easily because I want 360° access to it.

This is my first layout and am dreading doing the landscaping as I want it to look like the pics in the Kato catalogs. I'm going back to Japan in September so will be picking up a lot of stuff then.

I've given myself 2 years to finish it.  ::)

I will update with pics now and then.

Thanks  ;D

post-147-13569922346994_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922348571_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922350311_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922351894_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

2 years? Doubt I'll even have 1 module finished by then, let along an entire layout =)

Sushi Train

Yes but your modules are going to be 10 times better than my whole layout.  :o

I love the idea of "The Ghibli Modules" awesome!  8)

Jansen - what I also like about you bench work is that if you plan it right, you can expand on it in the future if you want to.

Sushi Train

Exactly! I made it so the legs can be removed easily, they are bolted in, that way if I move to a bigger place I can take it with me and expand it.  8)

Thanks  ;D

Martijn Meerts

Yes but your modules are going to be 10 times better than my whole layout.  :o

I love the idea of "The Ghibli Modules" awesome!  8)

Well, they won't necessarily be better, it's very much an experiment as well...

That said, I hope I can more actively work on them towards the last quarter of this year. I'm leaning more and more towards moving back to The Netherlands, which also means I'll be going back to studying and I'll likely have much more spare time.

Sushi Train

Thanks! I still haven't decided on  track plan's yet but have seen some very good examples on the net. Not sure to keep it simple or go crazy with loads of tracks everywhere like more of a city scape over a more rural setting. Time will tell. Take care.  :)

You can do a lot of interesting things with the double viaduct set, starting at ground level and working up with inclines to the viaduct.

The best thing is you can experiment your designs with the Unitrack.

Chris - you can start simple and you can expand later by adding more bench work to you original track plan.

SubwayHypes

cool thread, props on building your own table, i failed miserably and caved in and bought one instead.

definately have diverse lines, have your elevated shinkansen, and then a couple commuter tracks where you can run Yamanotes, Super Hitachis, etc.  I love the look of multiple train lines running side by side like they do in tokyo.

Sushi Train

LOL! thanks, it is funny seeing peoples expressions  :D

B.O.T.

I'm thinking of building my layout something like in these pics but not as hilly, probably Mt Fuji at one end.

I also enjoyed the video. I could just see trying to do that in a NYC diner, by the third person the camera would be gone.

Is that layout in a sushi bar? Again, another really nice layout. As you saw in CaptO's New Year's layout, making a light weight mountain isn't that hard and its' a lot of fun. Your son might have fun helping you by crumple up newspapers and making wads.

CaptOblivious

LOL! thanks, it is funny seeing peoples expressions  :D

B.O.T.

I'm thinking of building my layout something like in these pics but not as hilly, probably Mt Fuji at one end.

The layout in those pics looks like a nice bit of inspiration. Seconding Bernard's comments, it's dead-easy to achieve the look of those layouts.

Sushi Train

Bernard- I think it is part of the Tetsu Cafe bar chain, is that the name? there's one in Tokyo, this is in Osaka and has lots of model train shops around it and also Tam Tam models too where I saw a 0 series Dr Yellow 7 car set I need from MicroAce but didn't get it!  :'( :'( :'( :'( it was the start of the trip and we still had to make our way up to Sapporo and stupidly thought I'd find it again in Tokyo later. WRONG!!!!!!!!!

IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT!

Then I found this Microace A1154 in Sapporo and just had to get it.......forgetting that I already owned one!!!

IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT!

LOL!  ;D

post-147-1356992243474_thumb.jpg

SubwayHypes

wow i can only imagine the bliss one must feel in a japanese model train store, just not enough money around to buy half of what is wanted.

those resturants are so cool, i cant believe i have been in tokyo for so long and never seen it.  what district is it in??

Sushi Train

wow i can only imagine the bliss one must feel in a Japanese model train store, just not enough money around to buy half of what is wanted.

those restaurants are so cool, I cant believe I have been in Tokyo for so long and never seen it.  what district is it in??

Not sure where in Tokyo, never went to that one but here's a youtube link to some of their videos.  :)

P.S. my 4 truss bridges arrived today, I wanted them in steel colour like the real version but are hard to find, eventually got them from Colorado at Caboose hobbies, great place good prices and a surprising amount of Kato N gauge stuff including unitrack but they use DHL International Express shipping which is ridiculously expensive, these 4 bridges weighed in at 2 pounds and cost me USD 50!! just for shipping alone  :o

post-147-13569922435662_thumb.jpg

post-147-1356992243646_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922437561_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922438669_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922439936_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922440731_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922441511_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922442359_thumb.jpg

Kato bridges look great and trains run well on them. Walther's also makes a double truss bridge for about the same price which you have to build, doesn't come with the track and some modelers even though they say they look great have gotten a few sets where the base panel plastic is warped.

Wow, that shipping is expensive.

That photo of you in the Japanese Hobby store reminds me of myself when I was in Nagano and on my morning off found a LHS, they had to drag me out of there to get to my next assignment! ;D

I'd trade 10 sports bar with big-screen TVs all on different channels for one cafe with a big n-scale layout. Of course, we'd never get the kid out of there. Not that I'd be the problem, not at all.

Gotcha, that's up in Amagasaki.. the only reason I found that site is because of the advertising they have on the pillars of the Amagasaki station platforms.

And yes, it was extremely hard to leave... There are around 3 stores in the single area... one is more like a library for some really interesting JR history and also had models... scratchbuilt too, that's where I first saw a non-greenmax nanohana (kiha200).

Will be back there soon enough :)