Converting Couplers

Bernard

In the Dr. Yellow thread, Clem24 brings up an interesting topic, has anyone converted their Japanese prototypes that have the rapido couplers (those big "C" couplers) to something more prototypical? (I know Kato offers their couplers as spare parts)

A few month ago, I buy on ebay a Kato DD-51 with Kato couplers.

As all my cars had rapido couplers, I'd buy some Kato couplers.

I have mount it on a kato car (Toki 15000) in less than 5mn.

They look better, and it works just fine.

Maybe a little harder to uncouple.

Until now, I have not try to put them on others cars like MicroAce or Kawai.

Martijn Meerts

I replaced the default couplers on my MicroAce Kiha40 with some Tomix knuckle couplers. Looks much better and the 2 parts couple much closer (they almost touch.)

Not sure you can replace the couplers on shinkansen, since they have an entire system designed around the coupler. For all my other trains/cars I eventually plan to replace all rapido couplers though.

I have replace all the Rapido couplers that came with my cheap sets with MT couplers.  So far I don't see a need to replace the stock Kato knuckle couplers with MT, and I definitely will not replace the couplers on the Morning Daylight unless I start having issues.

alpineaustralia

I have replaced all rapido couplers on Japanese and US carriages with Kato 11-702 knuckle couplers. Dead easy and I find the Kato couplers less realistic looking but tend to latch onto each other much easier than (say) the micro-trains ones.

Haven't tried yet. All my trains until last week came with Rapido when the 485 and the 883 sets I received had them. Sold the 883, and ordered an add-on set of the Kyushu 415 which came with of course Rapido. (All of the fore mentioned trains were Kato) Since the 415 is a dummy set used for the siding, I'd like to swap my Rapidos or proper couplers.

Sushi Train

When I bought a Kato 0 Shinkansen it had the ugly big couplers so I put the realistic type on, with the cables hanging down, looks amazing. Funny thing is though, on the Kato website it lists the modern couplers as an option, that's how I knew what to buy.  :)