curious about japan ho scale

worldrailboy

worldrailboy

been quite a while since last post I know heh

anyway to the point...

is there like any more places other than 1999.co.jp to find out about the endo/fuji/etc locomotives and wagons or this is pretty much all I'm going to get online-wise?

I did find tenshodo's products website tho so thats not too bad

bikkuri bahn

There are plenty of other websites, it's OK if you're willing to do everything in Japanese, and they don't ship outside Japan.

Hi worldrailboy,

BigMan will happily get whatever you need in HO-scale and ship overseas.  His price is usually 5-10% better than HobbySearch.  However, he will only ship via EMS with online tracking and signature required.  This is to ensure delivery.

I buy most of my N-scale stuff from BigMan.  He will even take pre-orders.  Despite his small inventory he will order in anything you require, if the manufacturer has it in stock.  

Edit: I forgot to mention he has a retail shop in Gifu.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Darklighter

I'm curious about HO-scale, too. :grin

What is the best track to use for Japanese HO scale? (with/without roadbed) (Would Tillig Elite be a good choice (with regards to tie spacing etc.)?)

Do you know any (blogs about) Japanese HO scale (switching) layouts?

Can Kato's DE10 (1-1703) be easily converted to DCC?

bikkuri bahn

Unfortunately, HO scale in Japan is stuck in what I characterize as a 1960's~70's mindset where a layout = tailchaser spaghetti bowl layout. Basically innovation in HO ended with the growing popularity of N scale spurred by Tomy's marketing juggernaut.  Nowadays only the wealthy and/or real estate rich can afford to build a permanent layout.  Non-tailchaser compact/switching layouts are not very common, good examples tend to be more diorama than an actual functioning layout that can simulate real world operations.  A very high level builder of these layouts/dioramas is Yoiichi Miyashita.

9mm HO scale narrow gauge modular groups create very high quality layouts:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/syomonai/miso/repo/kei8/kei803.htm

http://homepage3.nifty.com/syomonai/

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3

I think one problem is the absence of basements or other spare space that RR clubs could use to build big layouts.  Also Japanese home don't seem to have a lot of "spare space" like the American homes built in the '50's and '60's.

Nick_Burman
Unfortunately, HO scale in Japan is stuck in what I characterize as a 1960's~70's mindset where a layout = tailchaser spaghetti bowl layout. Basically innovation in HO ended with the growing popularity of N scale spurred by Tomy's marketing juggernaut.  Nowadays only the wealthy and/or real estate rich can afford to build a permanent layout.  Non-tailchaser compact/switching layouts are not very common, good examples tend to be more diorama than an actual functioning layout that can simulate real world operations.  A very high level builder of these layouts/dioramas is Yoiichi Miyashita.

9mm HO scale narrow gauge modular groups create very high quality layouts:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/syomonai/miso/repo/kei8/kei803.htm

http://homepage3.nifty.com/syomonai/

There has been lots of growth in modular layouts, though... Have you seen the Hawaiian Pacific RR? Not Japanese prototype, but built by Japanese modellers...every time I see that setup my internal alarm bells start jangling - especially what they do to HO Unitrak.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman
I'm curious about HO-scale, too. :grin

What is the best track to use for Japanese HO scale? (with/without roadbed) (Would Tillig Elite be a good choice (with regards to tie spacing etc.)?)

I have a Tenshodo Toshiba 40ton loco and am considering buying some freight cars to go with it...

Cheers NB

marknewton

I use Peco code 75, which looks quite good when ballasted and weathered. I haven't seen any Tillig track, so I can't comment.

No. As bikkuri bahn noted, most Japanese HO scale modellers seem to either build dioramas or tailchasers, for the reasons he mentioned. I also think that as Japanese railways were operated in a different manner - and still differ - from typical US-style operations that the classic switching layout does not have much relevance to Japanese modellers working in any scale.

As far as I know bb and I are the only dedicated HO scale modellers on this forum. I'm working slowly on a layout which will feature a continuous run for exhibitions, but will also accomodate shunting and terminating/run-round moves.

I've also done a bit of planning for a pemanent home layout inspired by the Hokutetsu terminal at Komatsu, which would offer some very interesting operations.

Yes. The loco has an 8-pin DCC receptacle already fitted, you just remove the jumper/blanking plug. 

post-22-0-72179600-1368577959_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-45301100-1368578016_thumb.jpg

John P Boogerd
Mark - you and b-b are not the only HO modellers here - I am very much into Japanese outline HO scale.

Although the akadamura layout plan is HOj, it is a very nice little layout in my view and could easily be done in 1/80 as well.

I am starting to build a layout this month in a 10x12 ft room that I have - I have a lot of Kato Unitrack and I wonder if I should use that or start buying something like Shinohara instead - any suggestions in this regard would be welcome before I start.  I like the idea of snap-together track like Unitrack but they don't offer things like double crossovers, double slip switches and y switches in HO.

• Like 1
marknewton

Nick, my apologies! I didn't mean to exclude you, I honestly thought your main interest was N scale. Sorry!  :)

Although the akadamura layout plan is HOj, it is a very nice little layout in my view and could easily be done in 1/80 as well.

The modelling shown is to a very high standard, most impressive. I personally wouldn't use this exact trackplan for a 1/80th scale layout, as the track arrangements are more representative of a keiben, or light railway, than a mainline 3'6" gauge line. 

I am starting to build a layout this month in a 10x12 ft room that I have - I have a lot of Kato Unitrack and I wonder if I should use that or start buying something like Shinohara instead - any suggestions in this regard would be welcome before I start.  I like the idea of snap-together track like Unitrack but they don't offer things like double crossovers, double slip switches and y switches in HO.

It's been a long time since I used Shinohara track, so I wouldn't like to comment on it now, other than to say that I think it has been overtaken in appearance and performance by other makes.

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

No idea what's the best track, but I've seen the Tillig stuff, and looks really good. One of the very few track systems (outside of hand laying and larger scales) where the turnouts don't have hinges..

I've been considering doing a H0 narrow gauge bit, and Tillig has a ton of track that combines regular and narrow, which is really interesting.. (I have, however, no time to work on my main layout, let alone all the various other things I want to do ;))

Nick_Burman
Nick, my apologies! I didn't mean to exclude you, I honestly thought your main interest was N scale. Sorry!  :)

No offence taken Mark. Yes, although nominally I'm an N scaler, in practice my hobby budget caters not only for N scale, but also for HO, HOn30, On30 and now O scale (bought an MTH "Old-Timer" boxcar, just for the sake of it, so I can place it next to my On30 stuff). My last round of purchases included things as disparate as 5 packs of MT 1028s, 2 packs of FVM wheelsets and the aforementioned boxcar...all in the same order. Living in my present circumstances means that I can't for the time being convert my focus into results, read layout...so the mind scatters.... :grin

My Toshiba does treble duty...sometimes it's a a proper Japanese locomotive, some times it's a stand in for an US interurban loco (it does look like some US mine locos...Waterloo Cedar Falls & Northern had a pair...) and some times my fertile mind fixes buffers on it, paints it white and blue and sets it out to haul a string of wooden, groaning 2-axle carrozze a terrazzine (balcony coaches) through the flowering cherry trees of the Po Valley... :grin  (yes, she is that flexible... :grin )

The problem with Japanese HO is mainly sticker shock... as long as you stay with Kato, Tomix, Tramway, A Class, plastic kits, etc..., it's still within limits. The moment you want to stretch out for things like steam, watch out your mortgage... in my I case my focus would be a (fictional) rural private railway, so between the Toshiba, plastic, kits and Arumodel (brass kits which don't break your purse...) I would be fairly well set up...

Cheers NB

marknewton
...The problem with Japanese HO is mainly sticker shock... as long as you stay with Kato, Tomix, Tramway, A Class, plastic kits, etc..., it's still within limits. The moment you want to stretch out for things like steam, watch out your mortgage...

Nick, I understand what you're saying, but in my circumstances I don't think that I can agree with you. I always compare the prices for Japanese HO with those for Australian/NSWGR outline models, which are what most of my railway modelling mates are buying. I'm usually paying about the same, or slightly less, for models that are typically of better quality than those available on the local market. Considering how good my Tenshodo C11s and C58s are, I don't think they're unreasonably priced at all. And I'm really looking forward to the Tramway C12s I've ordered from Keitaro at Loco1hobby, if they're as good as their diesel and electric locos, they'll be a bargain.

(Mind you, I like steam too much to be entirely sensible about how much I'm prepared to pay...  :) )

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman
Nick, I understand what you're saying, but in my circumstances I don't think that I can agree with you. I always compare the prices for Japanese HO with those for Australian/NSWGR outline models, which are what most of my railway modelling mates are buying. I'm usually paying about the same, or slightly less, for models that are typically of better quality than those available on the local market. Considering how good my Tenshodo C11s and C58s are, I don't think they're unreasonably priced at all. And I'm really looking forward to the Tramway C12s I've ordered from Keitaro at Loco1hobby, if they're as good as their diesel and electric locos, they'll be a bargain.

(Mind you, I like steam too much to be entirely sensible about how much I'm prepared to pay...  :) )

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

Brass, plastic or mixed media (brass/plastic or cast metal/plastic or cast metal/brass) NSWGR locos? I've looked into Rakuten (Tenshodo has a store there) and both locos you've quoted are on the "low end" of the price range. The moment you decide to plunk for a C62 or D51...

The Tramway C12 is altogether another story. I smell Sanda Kan or Kader behind it...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

Mark - it was actually me who was into HO - I guess I copied it the wrong way and it appeared to be Nick.  It's interesting that there's so few of us here into HO which in Japanese 1/80 scale is so beautiful!

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

That Kato DE10 is very nice.

I have two of these locos...one, I believe, is a respray into the newer JRF livery...with all the bits added. The other is a bog-standard out of the box offering...which looks really bald in comparison!

DE101-1_zpsd607cd5a.jpg

DE102_zpsfa3aa9c7.jpg

DE103_zps000266d2.jpg

The older liveried example (it is more advanced than the state shown in the photo) is slowly having the detailing parts being added - also known in the trade as "pingfuckits"; a combination of the sound said item makes as it springs off the thin-nosed pliers, followed by the observation of said event, and subsequent forensic hunt in through the carpet...

Aside from being little devils to fit - I assure you the N gauge version is easier(!) - there are a lot of bits. Still it is well worth the effort...and the model both looks and runs superbly.

• Like 3

Claude, so Kato's DE10's don't come with the detailing?! Or is it just that you have to apply them yourself?

Still, just like with their N scale models, the price vs quality is amazing over here.

Claude_Dreyfus

They do...like with the N gauge offering you need to add them yourself. The out of the box version looks a little odd without them...the DD51 is the same.

Kato stuff is easier than Tomix. I have a small pile of Tomix electric locos to detail...which includes drilling the holes for the parts. Fortunately they do include the drilling template!

I already thought it would be weird if they didn't.

While I don't know about Japanese H0 gauge, I know that N gauge Kato trains are much more detailed out of the box and the details that are not applied can be attached very easily. Tomix however often even wants you to put on the car numbers for example, which can be interesting if you get multiple sets but if you're only getting one it's a big hassle.

But drilling holes... brrr... not for me.