My First Japanese Layout

the_weird_one

the_weird_one

Been playing with the Peco Streamline library's in AnyRail, and have come up with the attached. Line spacing isn't quite to the same level as the Tomix but I think it looks ok.

Also recently I've been thinking about going DCC as I think with electrofog points thats the best way to go, though if anyone wants to tell me otherwise I'd be glad to hear as the concept of fitting DCC decoders to EMU and DMU's frankly scares me.

post-850-0-56142000-1362694306_thumb.jpg

It really isn't that hard to fit in a decoder into an EMU. Some manufacturers are easier than other... but go for it!

I think you should ask Martijn about that, he works with Peco track and DCC. Even I could probably install drop-in decoders in the Kato trains that support them, but if you need to wire and solder it's getting a hassle and I think it depends on your skill with that. It is still expensive than DC and you really should think if you really need/want it.

the_weird_one

To start off I'm just building the diesel depot part of the layout, so I get practice on a small section before I do the full layout, also fiscally its more feasible given the current ongoing lack of employment.

However I have brought the wye junction and one of the left turn points needed to make it today along with a couple of lengths of flex. I'll probably leave this purely DC but pretend I'm wiring for DCC, as I need to practice my soldering anyway, the Kato drop in ready loco's I'm happy doing its the Tomix and Micro Ace trains I want to run that are currently giving me nightmares, though will be a while before I can afford to buy them anyway.

The reason I've gone with the Peco track primarily is availability, for instance today I popped down to HobbyRail which is 10 minutes from where I live and grabbed the little bits to get me started, the second reason is the lack of plastic ballast already fitted to the track, its something that has bugged me, which is why I initially looked at the Tomix track as it has the lower profile there.

So far in my travels I like Peco flex track the best. I have used Micro-engineering & Altas flex on my layout. It is easy to work with and can be bent on either side unlike Atlas. It is a much sturdy track over both Micro & Atlas. (Micro looks great but not as easy to work with) The one down side is the rail ties are deeper, which can make dropping in ballast easier but not as prototypical looking as other track. If I had it to do over again, I would have used mostly Peco flex but it's not that accessible in the area where I live.