Heat wave causes problems for London's rail system

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn
This week, London temps hit the mid-80s, about ten degrees warmer than average. This heat wave has caused trouble for portions of the city's rail infrastructure, which delayed some trains and incapacitated others. Some service at Stratford station, the major stop for riders attending the Games, was temporarily suspended, according to Greater Anglia.

According to the Guardian, Greater Anglia announced Transport for London, London Underground and c2c would honor their tickets this afternoon for alternative routes to Stratford. A Network Rail spokesman said the heat affected 60-year-old overhead cables out of Liverpool Street but that most services to Stratford would still run.

Yesterday, the Central line was shut down for two hours after a loss of power. It is one of the two major Underground lines that connect Central London to Olympic Park.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/07/brief-heatwave-london-causes-problems-olympic-tourists/2691/#

In the winter, the trains are affected by the snow. In autumn, it is the leaves and now it would appear that the sun is also wrong. I am sometimes surprised our trains manage to get anywhere at all.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Well, at least the aircon on the trains seem to be working.  Another account:

While residents gloried in the fine spell, the high temperatures disrupted travel on some rail lines with old overhead cables, British news reports said. That included one line that stops at Stratford, the station closest to the Olympic Park; some services had to be suspended.

On Monday night, the uncharacteristic heat also caused tracks to buckle in East London, causing chaos for some of the tens of thousands of people trying to reach the Olympic stadium for a rehearsal of Friday’s opening ceremony. The Evening Standard reported that performers and spectators were seen sprinting to the stadium from the station to try to be in place on time.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/britains-rails-weather-more-pre-olympic-woes.html

In the winter, the trains are affected by the snow. In autumn, it is the leaves and now it would appear that the sun is also wrong. I am sometimes surprised our trains manage to get anywhere at all.

This is so true.
Nick_Burman

After the wrong kind of snow, now it is the wrong kind of sun...:grin

cheers NB

• Like 1

This is so true.

Thirded. Why don't companies just admit they suck at what they're doing. :P

Davo Dentetsu

This is so true.

Stock markets.  They tend not to like the truth... :D

This is so true.

Its not that the companies suck, its the limitations of railway technology.  And its nothing new.  Snow also effects motor vehicles and aircraft.  Trains and trams depend on traction from steel wheels on steel rails.  Leaves and moisture are traction killers.  Sand helps somewhat but can`t overcome wet, slippery leaves. Extreme heat makes overhead sag and in extreme cases rails buckle. Many time its a matter of how quickly things change. Oh, to be in a moderate sub-tropical climate.

@Bill: I know, but it's a problem that occurs for decades (if not more than a century), plus with the Olympics coming, this is not a good thing/good timing at all! Steel is a difficult material to work with, especially when thousands of tonnes of other steel travels over it, but still. It's regular maintenance you need. Yes, that might me expensive, but that's just how things are able run smoothly.

If the managers want to keep the stock holders happy, they should have worked for a bank or something. It's somewhat of a different perception of the term 'Public Transport'; in favour of the public, rather than for the public to buy. It's not like trains are bread or something... Oh damn...

post-224-1356993102159_thumb.jpg

But I guess the heat wave will settle the question about the clothing to be worn in the women's beach volleyball, which seems to be the only Olympic speculation going on by the us media right now!

That reminds me, Bernard are you going over to wor on shooting the summer Olympics this year?

Jeff

But I guess the heat wave will settle the question about the clothing to be worn in the women's beach volleyball,

Possibly the only thing of importance (and worth watching). :grin :grin

Jeff - I'm glad you posted this! It is the first time in 28 years I won't be filming at the Olympics, which was a shock to me :(  I am however working for NBC in NYC editing......we are working 14+ hour days and I basically sleep and work...my time at the forum is going to be very limited due to the schedule. London is going to be a tough Olympics to get around for 2 reasons.....it's design of the city (one of the oldest cities in the world) and the amount of people that will be there.

But I guess the heat wave will settle the question about the clothing to be worn in the women's beach volleyball, which seems to be the only Olympic speculation going on by the us media right now!

That reminds me, Bernard are you going over to wor on shooting the summer Olympics this year?

Jeff

ahh you got bumped up the chain! Well it should be exciting to work on it again, even if its remotely! pretty soon you will be able to just control all the cameras from your edit suite!

ive not heard as much this year about cameras being all over and in wild ways, but maybe that will happen once they start. i expect soon we will have all the competitors with gocams on them like nascar and you will be able to choose your perspective and eventually have the 3D virtual reality POV! Ill stick with my old Be a Bass POV!

Enjoy your olympics time! let us know what pieces/areas you are working on.

its funny the woman's volley ball clothing coverage today changed from weather (now that its maybe hot enough) to religious issues! fun how they can use the same titillating piece and keep boinking other hot issues!

jeff

Steel is a difficult material to work with, especially when thousands of tonnes of other steel travels over it, but still. It's regular maintenance you need. Yes, that might me expensive, but that's just how things are able run smoothly.

No amount of regular maintenance can overcome the laws of physics, or the weather. We had a big shutdown a few weeks back, with a complete relay in CWR, concrete sleepers, 6-foot deep rock ballast, all the good stuff. I ran the second train across after the possession, and it was all good until I struck light drizzle and wind. The combination of damp railhead and crushed leaves is as greasy as a butcher's prick - I lost 11 minutes trying to climb the grade into Stanwell Park.

Cheers,

Mark.

Steel is a difficult material to work with, especially when thousands of tonnes of other steel travels over it, but still. It's regular maintenance you need. Yes, that might me expensive, but that's just how things are able run smoothly.

No amount of regular maintenance can overcome the laws of physics, or the weather. We had a big shutdown a few weeks back, with a complete relay in CWR, concrete sleepers, 6-foot deep rock ballast, all the good stuff. I ran the second train across after the possession, and it was all good until I struck light drizzle and wind. The combination of damp railhead and crushed leaves is as greasy as a butcher's prick - I lost 11 minutes trying to climb the grade into Stanwell Park.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hey, isn't that the same excuse the Australian Swimming Team is using ?  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ghan, I truly wouldn't have a clue - I have no interest in swimming, olympics or sport in general.  ???

All the best,

Mark.