forum notice emails stopped?

Seems like all forum notice emails stopped for me on the 20th and none this weekend came in on threads that should have sent the notices.

anyone else have this issue? could be that my isp decided they were spam, has happened in the past.

thanks

jeff

I had quIte the opposite happen. Today, I had a ton of JNS emails come in including thing I am not subscribed to. Also PM notices from months ago.  Something's off with the system. I'm sure Martjin's on it.

well they dont seem to be going into the spam folder, but i just tried turning off the spam filter all together to see what happens.

we shall see...

jeff

Martijn Meerts

We haven't changed anything in recent weeks (months?) so I really don't know what's going on .. I'm also tempted not to look into it that much, and instead spend that time on getting the new software set up the way we want it, and work on moving the current theme to the new software. I may take friday off from work, so I could spend a good amount of time on the new software over the weekend.

Martjin,

no worries here, dont have to have the emails, just was a change i thought you all would want to know about.

pulled off spam filters and still no emails so either something got stuck in the software sending them or your email isp got blacklisted from verizon (i was using my verizon isp email account for these as nothing else was using that) and emails just never made it to the spam filter.

same thing happened last year and the fix was to change the email over to the verizon. funny its now working at the email domain it stopped working at last year.

such a mess these days with spam gumming the works up for legit emails. i suspect there are so many jns emails out there that zombies have gotten onto enough computer with jns emails there to pick the email address up and use it so perhaps putting it onto higher potential for blacklisting the email server ip along with the volume of emails that come from that address usually.

jeff

Here it works all fine.

I use Hotmail myself, yes it's a very bad program and I'm planning on switching to gmail, but that takes a lot of time considering that I want to save a lot of emails. Anyway, what I wanted to say was that all email gets into my inbox, a folder I select to direct the email to, or to my spam folder. It's impossible for emails to just disappear, only if you stored them too long in the spam folder (about a month or so) and didn't move it to another folder. There's only one way to really make emails disappear (or rather, you won't ever see it), and that is by manually entering email addresses that you want to block. My estimate is that I don't receive spam more than once in a month, and after a block (a complete domain block) I'll never see them back again. Gmail works about the same, at least this part about it does, only setting it up is slightly different.

I don't like storing email on your own computer, if your computer crashes everything is lost and you can't access it anywhere. Also the way of spam directing is often weird in those programs.

I also have experience with friends whose email was taking over by bots, I just blocked them and problem solved. :grin They can always make a new email address.

Martijn Meerts

Jeff, it's definitely good to know, and it's also something we really need to keep track of more in the future. The more the forum has grown, the less stable the software seems to have become. Of course, we're many versions behind by now, but we've been to afraid to run an upgrade of the software :)

There are many reasons why email can be marked as spam (I used to design and code HTML newsletters, so I know a little bit about preventing mail being marked as spam), and I suspect SMF hasn't really paid much attention to the guidelines.. Something we'll have to remedy in the new version ;)

Martijn,

thanks, yep i bet its some new header issue as the requirements by isps that tend to do blacklisting change fairly often and w/o much coordination or notice until you are on the blacklist! a continual battle and noe that smf might not be on top of. but its needed with forum software as once the forum is on an isp blacklist no one can even get their confirmation email then at that isp so cant join or change their account info as the confirmation emails get blocked!

wish there were more consistency with how black and white lists are handled by isps and hosting companies, but they each seem to do their own thing. ironic thing is most of the spam zombie viruses out there sending spam are probably on the major isps systems and they dont blacklist themselves!

i deal with this about once a month with clients email servers getting blacklisted with shared email servers.

jeff

Seems like all forum notice emails stopped for me on the 20th and none this weekend came in on threads that should have sent the notices.

anyone else have this issue? could be that my isp decided they were spam, has happened in the past.

thanks

jeff

Jeff,

That's SAL for you mate ......  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not really, ive had 100% with sal, email blacklists on the other hand have been more like ems...

actually the only shipments ive had issues with from japan have been EMS where a couple got stuck and took as long as sal (but still paid 3x shipping price), while on the other hand ive had a few sal come almost as fast as the average ems does now! one ems got returned because it was not held on our vacation mail hold and ended up costing me 2x ems and almost two months total to get it shiped! so go figure why i stick by sal! i have patience and more money in my pocket...  :grin

the good news is that jns is now whitelisted with verizon and emails are flowing again!

jeff