Forum down?

bikkuri bahn

I wasn't able to access the forum for about 6 hours today. Used whydown.com, and it specified a TCP subsystem dysfunction. Anyway, OK now.

CaptOblivious

Weird, just got an email about it. Rebooting solved the problem. No idea what happened, everything on the server was hung.

Aww everyone makes mistakes. You have to plug in the vacuum cleaner somewhere! Probably good for us to have a forced break now and then anyway.

Jeff

Today I experienced a few little downtimes too. Sometimes I couldn't load the forum for a few minutes and then I could again, but a few minutes later it worked again. The last few hours it's a bit more stable, but it still isn't what it should be.

And no, it's not because of my internet connection, it works fine (I can still load other websites).

server wasnt responding for a short time for me yesterday and today i was getting blank pages loaded now and then. either the server has a bellyache or something tipsy in the server's connection.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

The server runs on coal, and there was a limited supply, so they were rationing it at the server farm ...

Actually, I have no idea what happened :)

Well, hopefully it's 'just' because of the forum software and not because of the server because replacing the software is already a (long-term) project. It's not a big problem, but it's weird that you can't find out what happened.

Martijn Meerts

Well, even if it's the server, there's plenty backups, so there wouldn't be much data getting lost, and it's a VPS, so it's real easy setting up a new one too.

It might have been an outage at the host location, in which case Cap will have gotten some sort of notice. It might also be the server got real busy because of a recurring task (or an attack of sorts), in which case the logs would show something, but I haven't checked those yet ..

With regards to the new forum, I've made an initial mockup of the design, based on the current one colors and simplicity really, but with a little more visual appeal. I need to adjust a couple of things here and there, but I should be able to start on all the html/css templates etc. this week.

Once that's done, we'll be doing a full test import of the current forum, see what needs to be fixed, and should then soon after that be ready for the actual upgrade.