How to type the yen symbol. ¥ and 円 symbols: Search yen symbol

The_Ghan

How to type the yen symbol.

For those of you who don't know, you can type the yen symbol:

To type the ¥ yen symbol in Windows:

1. hold down the [Alt] key beside your space bar;

2. using the numeric keys on the right hand side, type the number 0165;

3. release the [Alt] key. 

Note: this will not work with the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

There are several ways to type the 円 yen character that is used in Japan. The easiest way is to use Wordpad that comes with Windows:

1. open "Wordpad" a

2. type the number 5186

3. hold down the [Alt] key and type x, the letter "x".  The number 5186 will be converted to the 円 character.

4. you can now copy and paste the character into your message or document

Notes:

[table]

a

Don't use Wordpad? Click on the start button and type Wordpad into the search box and hit [Enter].  Wordpad will open and, if you are using Windows 7 or Vista, the Wordpad icon will appear in your taskbar at the bottom of the screen.  I recommend right-clicking on the Wordpad and selecting "Pin this program to the taskbar".  From then on, you will only need to select the icon from the taskbar to open Wordpad.[/table]

I hope you found this helpful.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

yes the shintai correct me if i am wrong but it literaly means round object???? 

btw as a note for traveling in japan it's not yen it En

again too much effort yen or en is much better ;)

For a the ¥ yen symbol I recommend using the shortcut CTRL+ALT+"-" though, much easier to remember. If you press "=" instead of "-" btw, you will get this symbol: × (which you can use in calculations, e.g. 5×2)

The ¥ symbol is coded in ordinary keyboards that use ANSI, but for writing real Japanese characters I always use IME. If I'm right there is some manual one that somewhere on the forums, but I don't know where and am too lazy to search for it or explain it now.

In short: you write romaji and you can choose which Japanese characters it should be changed into. E.g. if you want the 円 symbol you have to type "en" and press the SPACE bar.

CaptOblivious

It's a bit easier to get the ¥ symbol on my Android phone, and on a Mac (command-$ maybe? I forget just now). Getting the Kanji is also easy on a Mac if you activate the Kotoeri input method, then just type "en", spacebar. If anyone has a suggestion for kana/kanji input on Android, I'm all ears.

Densha,

[Ctrl]+[Alt]+[-] just doesn't work for me.  I have no idea why.  I tried it on my notebook and on the office PC earlier in the week ... no joy.

However, you've raised the point about using IME, so I'm going to give a brief tutorial on that.  IME is Microsoft's "Input Method Editor".  To use it, you need to setup a Japanese keyboard.  You will only need to do this once.  Proceed as follows:

1. Open the Control Panel, select "Clock, Language and Region", then select "Regional and Language Settings";

2. Select the "Keyboards and Languages" tab and click on the "Change Keyboards..." button;

3. Click the "Add" button and scroll down to "Japanese (Japan)" and double-click on "Keyboard";

4. Click on the check box for "Microsoft IME", don't select any other options;

5. Click on the "OK" button.  You will now have two languages in "Installed Services";

6. Click on the two letters representing your native language, eg: EN for English, and click "Move Up" until it is at the top of the list;

7. Click "OK" to close the window, then close "Regional and Language Settings" and the Control Panel.

Now that you have set up a Japanese keyboard you will be able to swap between typing two languages.  Don't worry that your physical keyboard doesn't have Japanese characters on it because we will get around that by typing the phonetics using the native keyboard.  In the Task Bar towards the right hand end you should now see two letters representing your native language, eg: EN for English.  To swap to Japanese press and hold the [Left-Alt] key and hit [shift]. You should see the EN change to JP, but you can still type your native language.  Now hit [Left-Alt]+[shift] again to swap back to your native language.  You should see two other letters appear, eg: EN for English.  So, now you know how to toggle between the two languages, but how do you actually type a Japanese character?  So, open a Word document or start an email or message or reply to this topic and proceed as follows:

Example 1: typing the 円 symbol:

1. Swap to JP;

2. Beside the JP letters you will see two other symbols: a red circle which you can ignore, and the letter A which selects the input mode;

3. Click on the letter A and select "Hiragana";

4. As keitaro pointed out the 円 symbol is pronounced "en", so type those two letters.  You should see underlined えn appear;

5. We want a different symbol so simply hit [space] and the symbol with change to 円;

6. Hit [Enter] to accept the 円 symbol;

7. You now need to reverse step 3 by selecting the あ on the Task Bar and selecting "Half-width Alphanumeric";

8. You can now type in your native language again.

Example 2: Continuing on from above, typing 五, the Japanese character for the number 5, pronounced "go":

1. Click on the letter A and select "Hiragana";

2. Type "go" and you should see underlined appear.  But if you hit [space] a different symbol 語 will appear, not 五;

3. Hit [space] a second time and a window will appear with ALL Japanese symbols with the "go" sound;

4. Click on the 五 symbol (it's probably about the 5th in the list) and hit [Enter] to accept it;

5. Change back to your native language by selecting the あ on the Task Bar and selecting "Half-width Alphanumeric".

Good news: if you repeat Example 2 Windows will remember that you recently used the 五 and it will appear the first time you hit [space] in Step 2 above.  From now on, the list that appears in Step 3 will organise characters with the same sound based on how often you use them.

Still interested?  Have a go at typing the following:

1. Densha (Japanese for "train"):  電車  type: densha [space] [Enter].  Luckily, the basic form of each character sounds like the combined word.  The literal translation would be "electric car".

2. Tokyo:  東京  type: higashi [space] [Enter] kyou [space] [space] choose 京 and [Enter].  Unfortunately, sometimes when you combine two or more kanji the pronounciation of one or more characters changes  This used to drive me mental at highschool in Japan.  My family used to have a lot of fun by getting me to read short passages from magazines etc, knowing I'd mess up the pronounciation terribly.  You will notice that Kyoto is 京都.  The two syllables reversed in English pronounce Tokyo, but in Japanese swapping the two characters doesn't.  However, the "kyou" is the same character for both cities.

It's right about now that I turn to Google Translate and cut-and-paste.

Anyway, this thread does give you a few methods of entering Japanese characters.  Use whatever method suits you best.

Cheers

The_Ghan

That's a great explanation for those who don't know how it works, The_Ghan.

Not really that important, but you can also swap between hiragana and katakana by pressing CAPS LOCK + ALT. But the problem with it that it only works when it is already set on hiragana and I want to switch to katakana. It doesn't work the other way here.

You can write (common) words in romaji too and then press the SPACE bar, and by pressing SPACE a few (or a lot) times you can get your word too. But I think that some less common words could perhaps be written by doing the kanji separate like The_Ghan did. Tokyo and Kyoto for example can also be done in IME by typing simply "tokyo" or "kyoto", but some words need more presses on the space bar or aren't in the list. (the latter hasn't happened to me yet since I'm just an amateur and don't use difficult words)

Thanks Densha,

I think it's nice to add just a few common kanji to our messages.  円 and ¥ are going to be familiar to anyone purchasing trains from Japan.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Whoa... how NOT convenient!  ???

On a Mac: ALT + Y will give you ¥

I'm sure something easy like that exists on Windows. I guess all major systems have that for the main currencies.

¥€$£

:laugh:

@Kumo

You know what I mean! And of course it's possible with Windows --> [CTRL]+[ALT]+[-] gives a ¥

CaptOblivious

On my new Apple Japanese keyboard, I need only press the "¥" key :) or hit the "かな" key and type "えん"

On my new Apple Japanese keyboard, I need only press the "¥" key :) or hit the "かな" key and type "えん"

But I don't think the rest of us has a Japanese keyboard.
CaptOblivious

But I don't think the rest of us has a Japanese keyboard.

Pity, really. In many ways, its more logically laid out than English keyboards. Not having the legacy of a typewriter, the punctuation and symbols are laid out far more logically for the Internet age (and what remains is basically a QWERTY keyboard with Lana overlaid).

Wouldn't it be nice if Admin added a couple of commands to insert the symbols for us, eg:

/en and

/yen

Then we just type "/yen 15,900" or "25,890/en"

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Ghan, it's worth checking into at some point. New/improved forum software first though =)