Hanshin Jet Cars- speedometer shots

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Hanshin has some of the hardest accelerating trains in Japan.  In these cases something like 0 to 90km/h in 27 seconds.

5500 series between Ogi and Fukae

5500 series trailing cab, bound for Yodogawa Station

• Like 1

Yeah, it appears that these have an acceleration rate even higher than subway trains:

Hanshin 5500: 4.0km/h/s

JRW 223: 2.5km/h/s

Hankyu 9000: 2.6ks/h/s

Osaka Subway 30000: 3.0km/h/s on Midosuji Line

Tokyo Metro 8000: 3.3km/h/s

I'm not at all familiar with Hanshin's lines.  What are the conditions that call for this?

the hanshin 9000 are 3km/h/s with a max speed of 110 but i read they are upgrading/modifying for 120kmh

still the 5500 is a large difference

then again they advertise it as the jet so i guess thats one focus of their business

Ordinary trains

5000s are 4.5km/h/s

5500s are 4.0km/h/s

Express trains

1000s are 3.0km/h/s

9300s are 3.0km/h/s

9000s are 3.0km/h/s

8000s are 2.5km/h/s

http://rail.hanshin.co.jp/

The specs are in the bottom right corner arranged by class number.

I think the 5500s (built from 1995) were the first trains built after the Hanshin earthquake.  I imagine there was a period without express operation, i.e.two track operation only.

EDIT

Hanshin was the original private railway interurban dating from 1905.  There are a lot of stations and according to sources on the internet this requires high acceleration and deceleration. Presumably otherwise the ordinary trains would be in the way of the express trains. They are called Jet Cars because the acceleration is said to be comparable to a jet and they are the highest acceleration cars on Japanese railways.

The Hanshin was built first and later the Hankyu Kobe line came along with direct competition over a faster route as of 1936.

Does this train come with turnable seats? Otherwise you will get pulled out of your seat because of the g-forces.

But now seriously, these two videos show how it is in cab view:

And this one is almost terrifying (

):

3mphps is pretty standard for US-spec light rail. Hanshin jet train is only "big in japan" :D

as far as i can tell us stock looks pretty primitive  :laugh:

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

Pretty much all modern US LRVs are descended from Frankfurt U-Bahn stock. And anyone else who wants to sell LRVs to the US (Kinki Sharyo for instance) designs to that spec.

The Hanshin 5500 Series are currently undergoing a renovation:

IMHO the front livery didn't need to have an inwards curving design, but it looks pretty okay to me! Somehow it reminds me of the red Hakone Railway Odakyū 1000 Series...

P.s. I think I said it elsewhere, but if I was living in the Kansai, Hanshin or Kōbe Railway would be my prime focus.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 1