[book mini-review] Delayed Departures, Overdue Arrivals

• full title: Delayed Departures, Overdue Arrivals: Industrial Familialism and the Japanese National Railways
  • author: Paul H. Noguchi
  • pages: 216
  • publisher: University of Hawaii Press, April 1990
  • ISBN: 0824812344 (0824812883 paperback)
  • summary: the role of the JNR organization in the lives of its employees, the career paths of JNR employees

Professor Noguchi examines the validity (or invalidity) of the concept of Kokutetsu ikka.  As we all know, Kokutetsu is a sort of contraction of Nihon Kokuyuu Tetsudou, aka Japanese National Railways.  The word ikka 一家 means "one family," and here it's used in the phrase Kokutetsu ikka, "one railroad family" as it's translated in the book, to describe the feeling that railwaymen were to give of themselves for the good of the railway--they were all in it together.  In return, the railway would take care of them and their (real) families.  Noguchi covers to some degree the origins of this phrase, but more so the meaning and reality of it in the context of JNR and post-war Japan, with new freedoms, wealth, labor unions, and social change.

To thoroughly study the concept of Kokutetsu ikka, the professor spent time at two JNR stations, one of which I believe he names as Kokubunji. The other he wishes to keep anonymous and so calls it Shiranai Station.  In Japanese, shiranai 知らない is "I don't know" or "unknown" but to be honest I first thought it was a place in Hokkaido.  A few wires crossed in the brain, I suppose, although in my defense Hokkaido does have places like Shibetsu and of course Wakkanai!  Noguchi gives a few too many details about Shiranai, however, and I think many forum members will, with the assistance of Google Maps, be able to determine which station it is.

He interviews and gets to know station staff, has them fill out questionnaires, and even provides studies of the careers of several individual employees.  Through employee case studies, with funny anonymous names such as Heitai Kichigai (basically meaning military nut) and Akarui Mirai (bright future), the professor not only explores his own theories but provides an interesting and broad view of a JNR employee's life.  He also covers how and when promotions occured and the post-retirement life of a JNR worker.

Although there is no discussion of railway operations, rolling stock, etc, if you use JNS Forum, you'll probably enjoy this book.  Professor Noguchi is an anthropologist, not a tetsudo maniac, and this is an academic work, but it's very interesting and includes a references section that lists many other English- and Japanese-language books related to Japanese railroading in various ways.  It does not appear to be available new, but it can be ordered used from websites like amazon and half.

Professor Noguchi retired from Bucknell University in 2011 after 39 years on the faculty.  http://www.bucknell.edu/x71016.xml

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
Noguchi gives a few too many details about Shiranai, however, and I think many forum members will, with the assistance of Google Maps, be able to determine which station it is.

Please give me the details, I probably can find out within a minute!  One possibility is Shiraoi, which is on the Mururan Line (aerial view in 1976- so much interest, i.e freight facilties)