couplers

keitaro

I have a few questions.

Recently i have gone through and put TN on almost every model possible.

I have noticed sometimes one side of a model is a mm or so lower than the other once the coupler is on.

Though the coupler looks positioned correct.

I have noticed also on some diesels and steamers this is also the case where it is higher / lower to the coupler on the carriage etc i am trying to couple to.

One example would be my latest dapol model. The front is fine with most carriages but the back is so low that it only just couples and any bump will see it uncouple.

This is not to say it's not happening on other models.

Examples can be MA 9800, MA EF65, Tomix c57-1 to name a few.

Also this is the same on some freight like hoki 10000 from Kawaii one side is higher than the other on every carriage.

So my question is this.

Is this a model issue I.e. a design issue making it lower / higher on front back or meant to be this way for a reason prototypically speaking.

In many cases swapping to a different carriage will resolve the issue however in some cases this stops me running a set prototypical in order by number of carriage etc.

keitaro,

What part numbers are you using on the trains you're having trouble with?

Cheers

The_Ghan

CaptOblivious

it's mainly freight with the kato 11-702 http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003621

though the tomix c57-1 is slightly off when connecting to a set of sleepers using the 0336 tn couplers. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10096031

It just seems random. surely others have noticed these issues?

Just for clarity, those Kato couplers are not TN couplers, are are at best marginally compatible with similar Tomix TN couplers.  I wonder if that's your problem right there?

TN couplers are a patented Tomix product (even in the US).  Kato couplers will never be TN couplers!

ok so knuckle coupler, they should still connect fine.

The issue is more variance in height of the model causing them to be unable to grip each other properly.

i have had issues with tomix ED62 supplied tn couplers with tomix models with tn as well just to clarify.

so its not a cross manufacturer issue as tomix to tomix suffer the same.

CaptOblivious

ok so knuckle coupler, they should still connect fine.

The issue is more variance in height of the model causing them to be unable to grip each other properly.

i have had issues with tomix ED62 supplied tn couplers with tomix models with tn as well just to clarify.

so its not a cross manufacturer issue as tomix to tomix suffer the same.

Ah, then that's weird. There should be no height issues: They should all be at the same height, and should couple seamlessly. I'm talking strictly TN-to-TN coupling, mind.

Guest Closed Account 1

Micro Trains MT1050 is a complete kit for couplers.

If you are going to mix and match couplers and trucks then this is for you. Always good to know that the couplers are all the same height.

Kato sells the Coupler/trip pin gauge (MT1055) as 11-716, Assembly jig/vise 11-719, and self closing coupler tweezers as 11-720. Page 135 of Kato 2012 Catalog.

Standard clearance of the magnetic trip pins are 0.010" or 0.25mm.

I don't install trip pins because of an accident I saw when it snagged some heavy laid ballast on another club's module.

post-436-13569930764343_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

They sell it to you for couplers. The description makes it sound like a general purpose lubricant for bearings, too.