Trouble with EM13 and FL12s

Folks,

I posted a week or 2 ago about a DOA FL12. I sent it back and am awaiting replacement. At the same toime I bought 2 EM13s. I runs my ET425 beautifully. The other, I tried to install in a Kato GS-4 and it is also DOA (Can't read CV on programming track... Am I just unlucky? Is the GS-4 tricky?

Thanks

I don't know the GS-4, but some of Kato's older EMU models needed shimming to get the EM13 to reliably contact the brass power pickups, and if you push it in too far you can deform the plastic holding the motor in place, and that will prevent contact of the motor/decoder.  Any of those would prevent reading (the motor load has to be connected for a read to work).

I've received a bad EM13 (or perhaps I destroyed it myself), so it's possible. But I'd look for other causes first (swap the two decoders and see if the other works in the GS-4, for example).

Martijn Meerts

Kato's "DCC friendly" isn't necessarily very friendly :) I've had a lot of problems getting the FL12's to work in the cab cars of a series 151. The contact just isn't good enough. In the E5 cab cars they work just fine though ..

Earlier models (maybe including the GS-4) may have similar issues with bad contact.

Guest Closed Account 1

Are CV66 and CV95 programmable on the Kato EM13?

Do I need to worry about speed matching my Kato E3's with the rest of the compatible Shinkansens?

CaptOblivious

You probably do need to worry about speed matching I would guess. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it will require manually adjusting each value in the 28-step speed table if that is the method you are using. Me, I have never seen the advantage to that, and keep to the simpler 3-step table.

Are CV66 and CV95 programmable on the Kato EM13?

Sorry Mr Webskipper.  The answer to both question is "No".

Here is the list of EM13 CV settings in English: http://jmri.sourceforge.net/xml/XSLT/pages/Kato_em13.xml.html

Don't believe everything you read, it works just fine for me.

I was a bit surprised by this post, since I'd thought the Kato decoders were simply using the usual Digitrax FX3 firmware, so I tried an experiment with my recently-equipped Nagomi and its EM13.  This is actually an older decoder I bought a couple of years ago, and has version 51 firmware per CV7.  I haven't yet gotten around to speed-programming my models, but since this one was on the table for address programming anyway, I gave it a try.

With a 28-step speed table programmed that limited top speed, and the table enabled, I set CV66 to 64 (50% reduction).  I then ran the train in both directions around the outer loop of the layout.  In one direction it took 47 seconds.  In the other 90.

I haven't tried Reverse Trim (CV95), but I expect it works the same.

It's possible even older EM13s didn't have this, but mine isn't exactly brand new, so I think this capability has existed for a while.  I expect JMRIs documentation either derives from really old decoders, or simply from Kato's published documentation, which doesn't lay claim to this capability.

Edit: corrected an error regarding the firmware version.  Also while the EM13 has similarities to the FX3 firmware, the FL12 has some significant differences and I should have been more precise.

Edited by KenS
Guest Closed Account 1

Thanks,

Well, I may as well hack the light board and use a full function decoder such as the TCS M1 to control the gyro lamp, motor,  and tender lamp, too.

I'll work on that after I finish digitizing my Shinkansens.