Nick_Burman

Z scale MT couplers

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

While trying to convert the couplings of my M-A Chichibu WoKi/WoKiFu set I discovered much to my consternation that the M-A trucks won't take any M-T 11xx series couplings without major surgery. So, surgery for surgery, I installed a body-mounted 1015 (it required chopping the truck on one end of the car :sad: :icon_pale:) in one of the WoKiFu cars as didn't have enough couplers to do everything. While doing the conversion it dawned on me that (at least for double-truck freight cars) rather than using MT N scale couplers, why not use body-mounted Z scale couplers? They look somewhat better and mate with their N scale brethren with little trouble. Any thoughts on it?

Cheers NB

• Like 1

clem24

Z scale couplers are a common mod for N scale in terms of getting the look down. I'd question reliability. And also one of the reasons why I prefer Kato knuckle couplers over MT - I just find MT to be less reliable.

westfalen

I use Z scale couplers a fair bit, they are no less reliable than MTL N scale couplers. You hear of problems wih running 100+ car trains on N-TRAK layouts but with the shorter Japanese trains there shouldn't be a problem. I run around 50 cars with a mix of Z and N couplers with no great problems.

This new coupler announced by NZT might be worth watching for.

http://nztproducts.blogspot.com.au/

• Like 1

Nick_Burman

I use Z scale couplers a fair bit, they are no less reliable than MTL N scale couplers. You hear of problems wih running 100+ car trains on N-TRAK layouts but with the shorter Japanese trains there shouldn't be a problem. I run around 50 cars with a mix of Z and N couplers with no great problems.

This new coupler announced by NZT might be worth watching for.

http://nztproducts.blogspot.com.au/

Alvin,

Thanks, most helpful. I'll go down the Z scale way. Train sizes on the Tomii Dentetsu are limited to 20 axles so there won't be much trouble with uncouplings.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Alas, 2014?! No way Jose, I need couplers now... down the MT way we go...

Cheers NB