India new rolling stock

bikkuri bahn

Nick_Burman

A nice video taken at an opportune time:

As the TV ad goes, "...Incredible India..." :grin

Cheers NB

Interesting.  In his other video of this new rolling stock he mentions it's built by RCF Kapurthala, "RCF" meaning rail coach factory.  They have a website at http://www.rcf.indianrailways.gov.in/ .  I'd like to see some close-up or interior pictures to get an idea of the overall quality of the construction.  Gotta love the people wandering across the 5'6" gauge tracks, according to the wikipedia article on the Western Line there were 1313 deaths last year.  See the appropriately titled "fatalities" section in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Line_%28Mumbai_Suburban_Railway%29 .

miyakoji,

These new trains look pretty safe to me.  I'm sure the build quality is right up there with the best. 

Cheers

The_Ghan

Sorry, I didn't write that clearly: the deaths were mostly people crossing the tracks, not due to any kind of rolling stock or infrastructure problems.  Well, maybe lack of fencing is an infrastructure problem, but that's a kind of indirect problem.  I was just wondering about the rolling stock's manufacturing quality in general.

Double-deck cars with only two small doors? Nobody ever get off?   ??? ???

Precisely!  I'm pretty sure they're for inter-city express use.  Double-deckers are aweful as suburban or subway trains, trust me!

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn
Gotta love the people wandering across the 5'6" gauge tracks, according to the wikipedia article on the Western Line there were 1313 deaths last year

It's an unfortunate fact that in places where poverty exists, these actions are commonplace.  In other places in Asia, you have squatters living on the right of way.  At least nobody is throwing stuff at the train in this case.

*I think I posted a while back another video from India where a couple was almost struck by a train.  The cameraman himself was positioned between two tracks, hmm...

Nick_Burman
Gotta love the people wandering across the 5'6" gauge tracks, according to the wikipedia article on the Western Line there were 1313 deaths last year

It's an unfortunate fact that in places where poverty exists, these actions are commonplace.  In other places in Asia, you have squatters living on the right of way.  At least nobody is throwing stuff at the train in this case.

*I think I posted a while back another video from India where a couple was almost struck by a train.  The cameraman himself was positioned between two tracks, hmm...

The Mumbai area has seen a lot of trackside squatter clearance over the last years as IR strives to shoehorn more tracks in, plus the Mumbai Metro project.

Although much more rarer, "taking the cow path" across railway tracks seems also to happen in Japan. I spotted one such case in that Yoshida to Niigata cab ride that was posted a few days ago - at one station there was a teenager (wearing school uniform, no less...) crossing the tracks outside a level crossing. And yet it wasn't at some remote rice-paddie, but right beyond the tip of a station platform. He wasn't the only person to use that route, as the ballast showed - it was much cleaner where people had stepped on it, showing that a lot of folks used that path. However the boy was either very safety-conscious or was a railfan, as he waited for the train to do its station stop before crossing the tracks.

Cheers NB