Woeful wheels...

marknewton

Interesting Mark,

What causes this?  I ws hoping the article would explain but it's actually about SMRT, not the wheels themselves.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not much detail about which line or how the flats occur. Apart from the newest line which is ungerground and entirely driverless the SMRT trains operate automatically except, according to a driver I spoke to during my visit in 2007, when it rains and the driver cuts in the manual controls because the computer can't handle the wet conditions. It would be interesting to know if the flats happen when the computer or the driver in running the train, if the former it's a pretty good argument against driverless trains.

• Like 1

Nige, you get flats like this from braking too hard in wet or rainy conditions - the wheel stops turning and skids, which causes the flats. I'm absolutely amazed that the wheelset shown was allowed to get so bad.

Cheers,

Mark.

Alvin, I'm assuming the SMRT trains are OMO? The drivers must all be deaf and blind! There's no way I'd take a train into service with wheels like that.

Cheers,

Mark.

OMO?

I spent a couple of days riding every line while I was there in 2007 and didn't experience any trains that would have had wheels that bad. Maybe their standards have dropped since then, perhaps the drivers no longer take over in wet conditions and the trains are just left to slip and slide.

From my experience riding trains in NSW I thought it was a statutory requirement down there that every carriage had to have at least one flat wheel. :grin

OMO?

One Man Operated.

From my experience riding trains in NSW I thought it was a statutory requirement down there that every carriage had to have at least one flat wheel. :grin

Fair call!

Cheers,

Mark.

What? You mean to tell me they're not meant to go chuff-chuff-chuff like steam engines?    :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Here in Sydney they paint parts of the trains yellow.  The fronts, the doors, the handles, grab rails, etc.  Our trains look like they were made out of Lego.  We really wish they'd give our trains some style. keitaro was being synical.

Cheers

The_Ghan

well you never know when a wheel is going to fly off one of he old clunkers and knock you out.... would be much safer if i could see a yellow saucer flying at me.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here in Sydney they paint parts of the trains yellow.  The fronts, the doors, the handles, grab rails, etc.  Our trains look like they were made out of Lego.  We really wish they'd give our trains some style. keitaro was being synical.

Oh! Like buses in the province of Ontario.  :grin