Day Trips in Japan

stevenh

family run noodle stalls by the train station platform!

I would trade most of our over-supply of restaurants in this town to have just one of those stands. Not a "Japanese Steakhouse" or a sushi boutique or a five-star "elegant dining experience", but just a simple noodle stand.

<back to the thread now...sorry>

I'm looking forward to pictures from the trip!

family run noodle stalls by the train station platform!

I would trade most of our over-supply of restaurants in this town to have just one of those stands. Not a "Japanese Steakhouse" or a sushi boutique or a five-star "elegant dining experience", but just a simple noodle stand.

<back to the thread now...sorry>

I'm looking forward to pictures from the trip!

J-Steakhouses are like Starbucks, the bloody things are everywhere.

worst coffee on the planet!

Someone else thinks so too! Starbuck's coffee taste burnt to me, it's over-roasted. (Boy am I off topic here)

Back to topic.

Steven - Enjoy the "hot coffee in a can" while you're in Japan. (did I just rhyme by accident?)

worst coffee on the planet!

Someone else thinks so too! Starbuck's coffee taste burnt to me, it's over-roasted. (Boy am I off topic here)

Back to topic.

Steven - Enjoy the "hot coffee in a can" while you're in Japan. (did I just rhyme by accident?)

I hear a lot of people say SB coffee tastes burnt, but I'm a cappuccino/espresso drinker. And thank the great Beagle Gods for their frappichinos.

My wife loves the frappichinos, I on the other hand, go to Dunk'n Donuts.

Gee I wonder how Steven doing on his trip, he's got one busy schedule.

Argh, he's slated to hit Aizu-Wakamatsu for the web cam. Cripes, I can't recall when he was going to hit that, and Jeff's out of town. HE was going to record the stream so we could play it back on here.

A significant part of my daily plans involves deciding which Starbucks to go to. :)

I don't see Nagoya in your list. Are you avoiding our fair city here in the Tokai region?

Fail.

I rocked up to Niigata station at 9am (after an early start to get there from Tokyo) and they told me no SL today, although I had the ticket with a reserved seat.

I had no ability to work out how. I therefore just took the Hokuetsu to Toyama (which was to be my final destination for the day) and started partying with friends to smother my disappointment. Therefore no Aizuwakamatsu nor Aizu-Liner.

cry cry cry.

The NihonKai was old-school, the Twilight Express rocked. Everything else had been done before... more later.

Got back last night and trying to play catch-up.

bikkuri bahn

Fail.

I rocked up to Niigata station at 9am (after an early start to get there from Tokyo) and they told me no SL today, although I had the ticket with a reserved seat.

I had no ability to work out how. I therefore just took the Hokuetsu to Toyama (which was to be my final destination for the day) and started partying with friends to smother my disappointment. Therefore no Aizuwakamatsu nor Aizu-Liner.

cry cry cry.

The NihonKai was old-school, the Twilight Express rocked. Everything else had been done before... more later.

Got back last night and trying to play catch-up.

Steve, if you had a reserved seat ticket, wouldn't it have the date on it?  Unless JR cancelled the run (possible when you have only one SL available).  Also, doesn't the train only run on weekends?

I, of course, had a ticket for the 27th of June... all was set, the ticket was even reserved the night before: Car 5 Seat 13.

From that I'd imagine that there were quite a few bookings. Unfortunately the train had been cancelled on the day, reasons unbeknown to me. My loss... I still had a fun trip...

I'm organising the absurd amount of photos I took and will have them available eventually.