Seattle Train Shops?

nik_n_dad

(OT, but I wasn't sure where to post)

Anyone have any recommendations for good (n-scale) train shops in Seattle, as well as any public layouts?

TIA

[coughing abundantly] I don't know, maybe you could have posted in the forum called "Hobby Shops - Where are they?"... [/coughing abundantly]  :grin

[coughing abundantly] I don't know, maybe you could have posted in the forum called "Hobby Shops - Where are they?"... [/coughing abundantly]  :grin

Hey cool.  I usually am in JNS robot mode:  N-Guage -> DCC -> Scenery.  There's more than that?  :grin

Krackel Hopper

It's not brick & mortar, but I believe BTtrains is out of Seattle.  If you ask nicely and bring your own basket (or shopping cart) maybe you could shop his warehouse  :cool:

Hey cool.  I usually am in JNS robot mode:  N-Guage -> DCC -> Scenery.  There's more than that?   :grin

Not really...  :glasses7: :glasses6:

Mudkip Orange

I haven't lived in the Puget Sound region since 2006, so this is probably out of date. But - IIRC

-Express Station in Kirkland is expensive (usually full MSRP), but it's a nice store

-There was one on either Elliott or 15th heading up from downtown towards Ballard

-There's one in Overlake about a mile west of the Microsoft office. Dumpy single-story office building that looks like it should have doctors offices or something.

If you cruise down to da Lake'hood there's two in close proximity, Internet Trains (which opened in 2004 or 2005) and Pacific Railway Hobbies, which has been there for probably a hundred years and has some pretty nice prices on stuff that's been sitting in the shop for awhile. Picked up a whole crapload of Rivarossi there back in the day.

There was a big mailorder discounter in Southcenter, on Strander I think, but I'm 95% sure he closed up shop some time ago.

As far as layouts go, my recollection is the Puyallup Fair always had a pretty impressive Ntrak setup. I think it was a multi-club collaboration.

Hey!  A question I can answer! :-)

Mudkip's basically right on...here's a few more details.  I live a bit north of Seattle, so I typically haunt shops from the city on North.  Note that none of them carry anything except for the standard US stuff, although I have seen a Kato Shinkansen N700 start set at both Eastside Trains and Seattle Train Center, which is interesting.  Most of them carry Unitrack, and each has a bit of their own niche.

if your traveling with the family "Eastside Trains" in Kirkland is not only a nice clean shop, but its a nice little area. They really specialize in 3 Rail O Gauge, but have a decent N/HO selection as well as books and other accessories. They used to be Marklin dealer a couple of years ago, but apparantly the Walthers distribution deal messed that up.  Which is too bad as it was neat to see all the diversity.

http://www.eastsidetrains.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=eastside+trains&fb=1&gl=us&hq=eastside+trains&hnear=0x5490006404f52f5b:0x72449f271b24790,Everett,+WA&cid=0,0,8650811153504010531&ei=vzBxT5WKMIaWiAK7_tyqDA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CBIQ_BI

In the general neighborhood is "Plane's, Trains and Automobiles" or "Inside Gateway" (yeah, two names, the former is on the store, but the latter seems to be what they use everywhere else).  A clean, but smaller store, which really specialized in HO, but has a decent N selection if your looking for Kato, Athearn, etc... stuff

http://www.theinsidegateway.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=e4N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1157&bih=787&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=inside+gateway+redmond&fb=1&gl=us&hq=inside+gateway&hnear=0x54900cad2000ee23:0x5e0390eac5d804f2,Redmond,+WA&cid=0,0,10919956232326206274&ei=szFxT5rlH-7ViAKonpCuDA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ_BI

Seattle Train Center moved about a year ago, and I only recently found their new store in a new location.  Its a nice shop, but pretty far out in the Ballard area (side trip..go see the locks and maybe catch the BNSF lift bridge in action). It was more interesting when they were in this old warehouse location closer to downtown Seattle.  Not sure that they don't have anything the first two don't have.

http://www.seattlestraincenter.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=seattle+train+center&fb=1&gl=us&hq=seattle+train+center&hnear=seattle+train+center&cid=0,0,14359111500177906831&ei=HjJxT96kIKesjALi5rjmDA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CA8Q_BI

Probably one of the more interesting shops was "North End Trains" which was combined with a very large hobby shop/war gaming shop in the Lake City area.  Unfortunately they closed their doors just over a year ago.

Mudkip Orange

Thanks Quinn. Yeah it looks like I got the names transposed. "Eastside Trains" is the one I was thinking of in Kirkland. "Express Station" was the place on Strander that's gone now.

Eastside trains is kind of meh if you're looking for Japanese stuff. They do carry Kato and are a Gold Spike dealer or whatever symbol they would give to dealers that carry most of the Unitrack line. Their pricing is fairly meh.

But if you're after Japanese trains, look no further than BT Trains hehehe. He claims to be able to get you whatever you want. Might just have to wait a month for the next pallet.

I myself would be interested in knowing what other stores (with showrooms) there are.

quinntopia

I'd LOVE for BT to set up a bricks and mortar shop! It'd be great to have a store that had more than the standard US stuff on their shelves.  Although (I think I've mentioned this) I've seen Kato's N700 and 500 Shinkansen starter sets at Eastside Trains, Trains, Planes / Inside Gateway, and at Seattle Train Center!  Years ago it would be unthinkable to even consider seeing Japanese trains at these shops, buy perhaps this is the start of a trend?

Although (I think I've mentioned this) I've seen Kato's N700 and 500 Shinkansen starter sets at Eastside Trains, Trains, Planes / Inside Gateway, and at Seattle Train Center!  Years ago it would be unthinkable to even consider seeing Japanese trains at these shops, buy perhaps this is the start of a trend?

Well it's not really the shop's doing; it's more Kato USA having these offerings on hand.

Bob - do you actually have your stuff laid out? Can someone actually pop by your house and peruse your stock?!? :D