Model of Usui Pass, anyone?

marknewton

bikkuri bahn

Nice, too bad my projected "layout" will not be based on an electrified route.  An EF62 in plastic would tempt me, however.  It seems the model makers are issuing more JNR-era electric locos, perhaps a reflection that their days are numbered on the prototype.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

There's something special about Usui.  I think it's the fact that the line has that "pioneering" feel about it which has been demonstrated so well in so many American and Australian railways.  I'm therefore not surprised at your interest.  Are you buying?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Nige, I'm not sure. You're spot on about the atmosphere of that particular line. Now I know I'll never model the Usui Pass, so I have no real need for an EF63. But OTOH, they're a class of loco that appeals to me greatly, and I've never been disappointed with a Tomix HO scale model yet.

Indecision...  ???

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice, too bad my projected "layout" will not be based on an electrified route.  An EF62 in plastic would tempt me, however.

It would tempt me as well. So would either an ED60 or ED61 in plastic.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
Nice, too bad my projected "layout" will not be based on an electrified route.  An EF62 in plastic would tempt me, however.

It would tempt me as well. So would either an ED60 or ED61 in plastic.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm with you there too.  ED types would be appropriate for secondary line freight service i.e. Iida Line.  Imagine one of these at the head of a mixed freight, or a short tanker train, pulling into a loop station in order to let a "suka iro" local passenger with a baggage compartment driving trailer pass...lovely.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masa51498y/folder/1586020.html

• Like 1
likeablerodent

What does "Normal mosquito JR Prestige era setting of JNR" mean? :grin

I love computer translations.

I assume you're talking about the

●ノーマルモデルとプレステージモデルを発売

ノーマルはJR化・プレステージは国鉄時代の設定

part.

It says:

Either "normal" or "prestige" models are available. "Normal" models are JR and "prestige" models are JNR.

I find it interesting that the machine translation translated "JR化" as "JR蚊". Both are pronounced "JR-ka", but the former means "changed to JR" whereas the latter would be a JR mosquito.

I'm with you there too.  ED types would be appropriate for secondary line freight service i.e. Iida Line.  Imagine one of these at the head of a mixed freight, or a short tanker train, pulling into a loop station in order to let a "suka iro" local passenger with a baggage compartment driving trailer pass...lovely.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masa51498y/folder/1586020.html

Lovely, alright!  :grin

There's some lovely images on this page, very inspirational. As time goes by, I seem to be moving further away from my previous interest in modelling a specific prototype, place and time, and heading towards a generic approach that can showcase all of the things I find fascinating about Japanese railways. The funny thing is that once that would have bothered me. But not now.

EDIT: The thought occurs to me that since there are so few people here in Australia who know anything at all about Japan's railways, I could get away with running an EF63 on a non-Usui Pass layout, and no-one would be any the wiser. Except our local forum members, and they'd be too polite to mention it.  :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

... Except our local forum members, and they'd be too polite to mention it.  :laugh:

I don't know about that Mark, what's in it for me?  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan