N Scale Schooner "Bluenose"

Sir Madog

For a future port & dock module, I  have started building an N scale schooner. It´s a kit made by Mamoli in Italy. Unfortunately, the quality of the lumber supplied is not too good, and the instructions are not worthy of that name.

Here are some pictures on the progress:

P1040092.jpg

P1040124.jpg

P1040133.jpg

P1040127.jpg

I have just decided to cut a part off the bottom to turn it into a waterline model, before I continue... Hope that works out! My thumbs are still bleeding from poking the needle into them while stitching up the sail.

sure you want to lop it off? you could always poke a hole in your scenery to mount the keel. such a pretty little keel and not too deep to get in the way displaying much.

when i was carving a lot my thumb tips were like steel after a while with the callouses that built up from all the little cuts! they still have little bumps at the end which is think is just scar tissue!

btw what is the size/scale of this model?

jeff

The Blue Nose in N Scale?

So the ol is 12 inches and the wl is 8 inches?

Yup, that´s about it.

coming along very nicely. where did you find this kit. nice little n scale ship.

but is simple enough to maybe roll my own with a solid hull. decent hull lines are on the web. deck stuff and masts are pretty basic.

i had to miss out on a free trip on my friend's boat in se alaska next week! all i had to do was get up there for a week of whale and bird watching during the herring spawn, damn!!!!!! too much going on here with the kitchen remodel right now though to do it... too much salt in my veins.

jeff

Jeff,

It is a kit made by Mamoli of Italy. The kit contains a pre-shaped hull, a stack of strip wood of different sizes and lousy instructions. I  replaced most of the supplied lumber with better quality one.

All you need to build a boat like this is a good set of drawings.

Ulrich,

ok found it. yeah i found a low res set that would be good enough to do the hull lines (dont need to spend $80 for the high res plans!)

http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?26

i did a couple of models with solid hulls by cheating using hull profile lines to cut sections. then just carved down to the seam lines, then planked over that. really easy if you are doing a waterline model. yes its not the pure way to do a wooden ship model, but to get a nice exterior fast...

the stamp with the bluenose was one of my favorites from stamp collecting days.

jeff