100 series/300 series shinkansen joint retirement ceremony @Okayama

bikkuri bahn

I wasn't paying attention to the retirement of the 100s.  So, the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen is 700/N700 series and, on the Sanyo, the 8-car 500 series sets?  Wow. The fresh green livery that was on some of these and the 0 series was tasteful.  I'd like to see that on the 500s.

There was a tear in my eye as the band played Auld Lang Syne, the 300's I could live without but not the 100's. I wonder how much longer the 500's have left as the last non-700 based trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen?

We are used to seeing the hoards of railfans on the platforms for last runs but I wonder what the drivers think of losing the old trains, are they glad to be rid of them or were they like an old car, not very flashy but comfortable and it got you where you were going. Here in Brisbane most of us prefer getting a 30 year old EMU to a new 260 class.

Sitting in the yard in retirement.

Video notes:

Shinkansen 300 Series 100-retired as of last operation on March 16, 2012.

And, K54 K53 system 100 in Hiroshima Branch, each organization, F8, F9 F7 300 system was evacuated is detained.

300 are arranged three state system here saw for the first time.

On this day many people came unusually, had been such as photography.

The final operation was not so in the circumstances WITNESS, the personal has become in this day farewell.

And cheers for good work, thank you.

Hiroshima Branch where Hakata comprehensive vehicle

I guess they'll be cut up quickly, they won't leave them occupying valuable tracks in the yard for long. Not many disused yards or branchlines on the Shinkansen network where they can shove them out of the way.

Whenever I see these I think wouldn't it be grand to have one of these in the backyard! But then reality slips back...

Jeff

Whenever I see these I think wouldn't it be grand to have one of these in the backyard! But then reality slips back...

Jeff

Your backyard is THAT big?  :laugh:

well if we chopped down about 25 trees we could probably have 3 or 4 back there and maybe one in the front yard. not sure how the county would feel about that...

would be a fantastic layout room! nice and long run down each side! then put some screens in the cockpit windows and run a train simulator!

now sure what the neighbors would think as well...

jeff

I know this a bit of nitpicking but although Shinkansen are fast they don't fly, trains have cabs not cockpits. :grin

Martijn Meerts

Depends on how you define cockpit .. The initial terms comes from pits where cocks fight each other. It was also used to define small closed off spaces on warships :)

So, something doesn't have to fly to have a cockpit, purely theoretically ;)

I would be just happy to get one of the Series 300 cars (car 2-15) so I can take the seating out in some areas and place my Japanese layout inside of it, while having photos of the Japanese Railway along the wall. It is sad to see the massive number of retirements that is happening in Japan.