DE10 = DEAD

Guest ___

bummer on the spring. hobbysearch does carry them though (although waitlisted)!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10085911

i figured prying from the back end would be the way to get them off, but good to know that is the way! basically the chinese finger-cuffs!

cheers,

jeff

Welshbloke

bummer on the spring. hobbysearch does carry them though (although waitlisted)!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10085911

i figured prying from the back end would be the way to get them off, but good to know that is the way! basically the chinese finger-cuffs!

cheers,

jeff

Yep - it's just a case of keeping some cash aside so I can order a couple of sets of fresh springs and another new motor, along with some other stuff to make the order worthwhile. I could use two or three Kato Oha 14s and another Suhafu 14 to make up some loco hauled day trains, but they seem to have been out of production for ages.

Growly's been off for a week now. Let's see if Jeff can get it running after an ultrasonic bath. If not, I still have the new motor from Alpine to drop in there.

hope to try the new motor out this weekend and then want to try an ultrasonic cleaning on the old motor to see if it was grit inside the motor causing the problem. the problem is intermittent which really makes me think its some sort of grit in there that shifts around so it works fine for a while then slips back into a bad position that kills it... it is nice to have the old motor to do some experimenting on and perhaps learn how to/not to try to resurrect motors like this!

cheers,

jeff

Growly lives. Today Jeff, finally got the new motor in, and man is the DE10 ever quiet as all hell. It ran on the club layout today for about 50 minutes making little to no noise at all. Again, thanks to Alpine for sending me the motor and to JEff for working the unit back to service condition.

You are most welcome! thank you for my first candidate to play with the ultra sonic bath to see what that can do!

glad youre back in business!

cheers

jeff

It's maybe time to change the loc nickname. ;)

Lets see.....Jeff brought it back from the dead.....and now "IT'S ALIVE!!" How about Frankenstein! :grin

I've got another one with those springs - just taken delivery of a nearly new EF30, which I bought as I thought it'd look good with my EF81 300 (two generations of motive power from the same line, as far as I can work out).

HS still don't have spare springs, I'm wondering if they'll ever reappear. I know that Graham Farish used a similar design on their Class 90 and Class 158 models but I've no idea whether their springs would fit a Tomix chassis (or even if you can get those springs as spares - when Bachmann bought the company they changed most of the chassis designs).

CaptOblivious

I've got another one with those springs - just taken delivery of a nearly new EF30, which I bought as I thought it'd look good with my EF81 300 (two generations of motive power from the same line, as far as I can work out).

HS still don't have spare springs, I'm wondering if they'll ever reappear. I know that Graham Farish used a similar design on their Class 90 and Class 158 models but I've no idea whether their springs would fit a Tomix chassis (or even if you can get those springs as spares - when Bachmann bought the company they changed most of the chassis designs).

Have you tried emailing HS directly? They can often acquire parts not listed in their catalog if you ask.

I didn't realise that - I will try emailing. Presumably in Japan (as here) you wouldn't bother ordering small parts from an online store but instead go to your local Tomix stockist and ask them to order a set for you, hence why HS don't have them.