Fukushima Transportation Iizaka Line

likeablerodent

likeablerodent

On YouTube you can find a through-the-window view of almost any train line in the country, but I decided to try going a step further and get trackside footage of the entirety of a line.

I ended up picking the Fukushima Transportation Iizaka Line because it's short (full length of 9.2 km) and not too far from where I live.

I found the end result quite relaxing to watch.

• Like 8
likeablerodent

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for watching it.  :wave:

And "LabRat"... that's certainly a nickname for me I haven't heard before. I suppose it works.

Hi Likeable,

As well as being interesting railway footage, it is also a great bit of cinema.  Are you related to Kurosawa?

well done.....Eisenbahn

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for watching it.  :wave:

And "LabRat"... that's certainly a nickname for me I haven't heard before. I suppose it works.

Although I touch-type, I don't like typing long nicks.  Likeable ... and a rat is a rodent, of course.  Hope you don't mind.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Awesome! This has taken you quite a long time to make, didn't it? The result is however totally worth watching :) Good job man!

Great job! Well done!

I watch it the third time now and I am still impressed.

Very good editing as well.

Your little movie has been the reason I joined JNS today.

I watched before, but now I am a member.

Greetings from Hamburg - home of the H0 "miniaturwunderland", Germany.

likeablerodent

Wow, thanks everyone ! I wasn't expecting this many people to watch it.

Your little movie has been the reason I joined JNS today.

I'm honored to hear that, so thank you!

Awesome! This has taken you quite a long time to make, didn't it? The result is however totally worth watching :) Good job man!

The trains come in the direction I wanted about every 25 minutes or so, depending on the time of day. To try and keep the lighting consistent, I went to the tracks about three and a half hours before sunset and stopped about a half hour before sunset. I usually got about four or five good shots per day I went out. There were also days I called off shooting because the weather wouldn't have matched.

All together it took me about two months until I had enough footage to get coverage of the full line, but I agree that the end result was worth it :)

----

I actually did this video as an equipment test for a larger project I had planned which was to cycle along abandoned rail lines in Hokkaido and make a little narrative miniseries out of it.

I've been working on said miniseries for about 10 months now, so if you liked this test video you may enjoy watching the full project that came after it. I already posted this in the old Shinmei Line thread below this one (how I found this board), but it seems no one noticed it in that old thread.

Playlist for all three:

Labrat,

excellent video! You did a wonderful job of framing you're shots evenin your pan ends, so many shooters forget to frame where they end up on. Your pans are also well done and smooth. Also love the interesting angles and scenes you found, again something you dont see done or done well very often. Kudos sir.

Loved it! Please sir can I have some more!

Cheers,

Jeff

likeablerodent

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm hoping to get around to doing another similar video, but I currently have other projects on my plate the preclude me from working on it just yet.

This is a great concept for a video (and very well executed, too).  It really gives a feel for the environment the train runs through, and the sounds along the line. Moreso in some ways that the typical "cab ride" video, where you hear more muffled sounds and often have a tunnel-vision view.

I particularly liked the occasional distant view showing the train from above or well off to the side, those contrast nicely with the trackside shots.