Portram motor noise

mojo

A simple question: how noisy is your Kato Portram?

I have a Green Tram (TLR0605) and it makes quite a racket. Loud and high pitched. The motors are pretty small so thar isn't unexpected I suppose.

I was a bit worried at first but it seems to run well enough otherwise. Please help reassure me :-)

I have a black Centram by Kato, and if the lights were not on you would never know it was running. Mine is dead silent with no whine, wizz, or otherwise. Sorry to tell you, it may be defective. I hope others chime in..

Guest Closed Account 1

So the motors are separated from the driveline and making noise?

I'd ask Kato USA for help.

I have only seen the part numbers for the Bogies and board sets.

Kato 14801D1G, 14802D1G.

I've tried a whole bunch of sources to get the portram bogie parts and had no luck so far unfortunately. Hopefully the next time they do a production run they will make some more.

Cheers

Jeff

Both of mine make quite a bit of high-pitched buzzing while cruising around.  A red one as part of the original 40-900 set and the 富山ライトレール TLR0605 とやまグリーントラム.

Okay, I stripped it down, was already clean so I just lubricated it a bit and put everything back together. Still makes just as much noise :-(

3railgreg, from what you say I suppose there must be a fault. I might get another and then pick up spares when that become available. I always had the impression they were quiet but couldn't fond and videos with good sound. Thanks for the report.

We have asked at the Kato store and factory and been told there are none available at this time.

Good luck finding them at a secondary source, that will be your only chance.

Bob

one of my collegues has got the KATO PORTRAMs and we were having a test between them and the TOMIX trams with the controller being on the same level the TOMIX trams goes a lot faster than the KATO, the noise issue: Kato is a bit noisy but not as noisy as the trains running around so we can handle it. Check the gearing of the motor to the drivewheel of the tram as that could be an issue if not then getting advise from KATO would be the best option.

In which I hope both KATO and TOMIX will bring out more trams in the future.