Amtrak ACS-64

seabilliau

Pardon my ignorance of Amtrak but is the new engine supposed to exceed 80mph?

Max speed is 125mph.  These will operate on the northeast corridor.

Wow! That does look pretty cool! I'm surprised that they would replace the HHP-8's however....haven't those been in service for only around 10 years?  I also think we'll end up missing those boxy AEM-7's though, but they are getting a bit long in the tooth!

As far as a model, as Kato just produced the Vectron in N Scale for Europe (with Lemke Hobbytrain), I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to do a similar model for the states.  I'm not sure how big the market in the US is for Northeast Corridor only models...those Bachmann HHP8's seemingly can't be given away!

Considering the Kato/hobbytrain conglomerate already has EuroSprinter, Vectron locos and already have amfleet ii cars it be easy to roll out a four piece package similar to the intercity package.  I'm hoping anyway.

Oh, and they make it already... In G!  Wha?  Apparently G scale is the primo scale for modeling the NEC.  Really?

http://www.cine.swl4.com/PIKO-38410_LGB_G_SCALE_Amtrak_Electric_Loco.htm

like I said though, a Siemen Taurus in Amtrak colors. All Kato would have to do is copy the color.  I'm sure there will be differences between the us and euro Siemens but I'd buy it if it was the only one available.

Wow! That does look pretty cool! I'm surprised that they would replace the HHP-8's however....haven't those been in service for only around 10 years?  I also think we'll end up missing those boxy AEM-7's though, but they are getting a bit long in the tooth!

English Wikipedia for the HHP-8 says they're being replaced due to poor reliability, with the larger order reducing the cost per unit for the new ones, and eliminating the HHP-8 reducing maintenance costs.  It is strange to see an electric locomotive replaced after its first 15-year cycle (which is probably when they'll pull the old ones, to avoid spending any money on an overhaul) but in this case it seems to be a sensible decision.

A Kato model with associated passenger cars seems like a no-brainer, the only question is whether they'd wait for the introduction of the units in 2013.  It's a cool-looking loco, I might even buy one if they did it.

Given the quality issues with the never tested Acela and HHP-8, I wonder why Amtrak did not go for the tested and true New Jersey Transit ALP-46 series?

Having that said I would go for a Kato Amtrak ACS-64 and any modern N. American electric locomotives.

Nick_Burman

Yeah, if anyone's gonna do this it's gonna be Kato.

Bachmann might be interested in this one. They already have the HHP-8, a ACS-64 would be a natural for them...

Cheers NB

I would certainly prefer Kato's to Bachmann's after having their Acela.

I have been reading up on Siemens' Vectron and think this may be a very smart move by Amtrak. The Vectron is based on their proven EuroSprinter (Think OBB Taurus [i.e. RailJet]) which has been around for ten years now and Siemens' has had plenty of experience in getting that loco to meet multiple kw standards in europe.  

The basis of the platform is flexibilty over multifunctionality. An article in Railcolor goes into a lot of detail about the Vectron.

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1404897&lang=1

Replacing the hhp and Aem-7 means they have one engine type to maintain and one loco type to replace later.

• Like 2
garygadjet49

The ACS 64    looks like it has a white body, or is it silver. The white on the US flag stands out like it is over silver paint?

Saw one on the corridor today testing at Seabrook. It's like an HHP-8 got down with the AEM-7 and had an unholy child. Will post a pic once I get them out of the X-Pro1 Not very nice looking IMHO.

• Like 1