Enoden Miniature Walk Book

Guest ___

Just got my copy today from HobbySearch. It's such a great book and recommend to anyone who loves trains especially the Enoden Line. This is a collection of aerial photographs photoshopped in a special method to look like a miniature model. Photographs by Katsuya Noguchi.

10078954zv8.jpg

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10078954

Enoden Miniature Walk Book

Katsuya Noguchi

CaptOblivious

That's awesome. I love photos like that.

Photoshop is not the answer, BTW. To achieve this effect you need a high vantage point and a large-format camera, or one of those Lensbaby things, something to allow movements. Then you simply alter the angle of the lens relative to the film plane to achieve a very narrow field of focus, while using a moderate to very wide angle lens to maintain a wide angle of view.

I love this technique, and making Enoden look like a model railroad layout is genius.

More:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift-photography/

Uh oh Don, you're getting in to my field of work now. Time to bust open an can of whoop-ass  :P

I just used the term photoshop for digital as I would have used darkroom for print. I had read however that these images had been done with photoshop on my photography forum. (It was actually a friend of mine on Nikonians who directed me to this book)

I doubt since the photographer who was also the pilot that he headroom in the Cesna to use a large format camera.

Lensbaby. I hate that damn thing. I have one I just sold cause I hated how it behaved with with D2Xs.

It's been a few years since I've done this style of photography, but I had used an 85mm PC shift Nikkor lens on my old F5 back in the early 90's from my friends Piper Cherokee. I hated trying to get these shots as he had to dip the wings.

CaptOblivious

Uh oh Don, you're getting in to my field of work now. Time to bust open an can of whoop-ass  :P

Your field of work, but my other hobby. My darkroom has been broken down now for several months, but as the spring thaw sets in, I look forward to getting it back into shape and making prints again.

And one day I will stop shelling out for trains and buy myself a proper (if well-used) large-format camera…one day…

Help yourself to that large format camera. I'll have nothing to do with those damn things again. I had two semesters in college where I had to drag that bloody thing around Georgetown. Damn well nearly threw my back on more than one occasion lugging it through the Metro Station at Bethesda. I also don't miss the cost of dealing with large format. I do miss my Bronica EC though. good MFC.

Digital was the best thing to happen to the industry. Without it, I'd be out of work due to the cost and time factors as would most every photographer and newspaper in the country. I have days where I miss the darkroom, until I rememebr being yelled at by the EIC about his deadline. The paper always cuts things close like that.

I don't miss the deadlines and the delays the darkroom brought with it. Nothing in the world brought more stress than having a two hour deadline to go from an event back to the paper, developed. the film, and get it to the editor before the clock runs out.

alpineaustralia

I am only a casual, part-time, occassional, happy snap, Kodak moment, type of photographer and certainly not in your league guys but it seems to me that there something else that is achieved by the these photos apart from depth of field and axis shifting. There methods seem to give the miniature effect but it almost seems that the colour also changes to give it a more artifical/plastic model effect.

The greens become unnaturally bright and metal and concrete takes on a uniformity that makes it seem plastic.

How is that achieved?

This is the first time I have ever seen these photos and I reckon you could actually model a model on the photo (Im not sure that came out right?).

CaptOblivious

I am only a casual, part-time, occassional, happy snap, Kodak moment, type of photographer and certainly not in your league guys but it seems to me that there something else that is achieved by the these photos apart from depth of field and axis shifting. There methods seem to give the miniature effect but it almost seems that the colour also changes to give it a more artifical/plastic model effect.

The greens become unnaturally bright and metal and concrete takes on a uniformity that makes it seem plastic.

How is that achieved?

This is the first time I have ever seen these photos and I reckon you could actually model a model on the photo (Im not sure that came out right?).

That sort of saturation isn't too hard to achieve, either via artificial means like Photoshop, or by shooting onto film like Fujifilm Velvia, which can produce very vivid colors like that.

Believe it or not, all it takes is a shift---a dramatic shift, mind!---in the depth of field to trick the mind into thinking its a miniature. It's a disturbingly effective trick when done right, and so simple (with the right equipment).

ANd you're right about one thing: When I first saw the photos here and on HS, my first reaction was: Such a shot really brings into focus (metaphorically) the details needed to pull of a convincing model.

alpineaustralia

I just read this tutorial. Absolutely brilliant.

Capt was right about saturating the colours to re-create the plasticy look.

Fred Miranda sells this as an action, but I made my own version of it a few years ago. I may still have it somewhere. Will link to it if I find it after the show tomorrow.

CaptOblivious

Hey Don, here's one I had to rework today for a friend:

Nice :D

But shouldn't there be a bit of ground across the width of the photo, just under the train's cab (which is in focus) that's also in focus?

But shouldn't there be a bit of ground across the width of the photo, just under the train's cab (which is in focus) that's also in focus?

There was, client (friend) bitched he didn't like it. Gave it to him this way and was thrilled with it.

CaptOblivious

There was, client (friend) bitched he didn't like it. Gave it to him this way and was thrilled with it.

Man, some people huh? No taste.

:P

Still, with the weather warming up (at last!) and images of putting my darkroom back together, you are inspiring me to go take some photos of our city's fine LRVs…