Kato Tram with bad lights

rpierce000

For the first time ever I have gotten a Kato product partially DOA. It is a red UniTram (14-801-4) and it all worked EXCEPT the interior lighting on one end. The interior lights on the OTHER end work leading me to believe that these are actually two fully functional locomotives linked together.

If you choose to purchase one of these used or at a meet, be sure you see it tested for this functionality. Repairing it is going to be a PITA unless we send it back to the factory.

Bob

Please respect the forum layout and post your threads where they belong. - Disturbman

Bob

Yes they are basically two separate units. Each truck has its own integrated motor and power regulation board which I expect connects to its own led in each end for the interior lighting.

The kato portrams are the most sophisticated mechanisms I think I've seen in n scale. I would venture that the connection from the power regulation board to the interior lighting led has come loose.

Jeff

This happened to me on a Kato Centram as well--had interior lighting in one section but not the other. The sections are powered independently with a thin wire connecting the lights (much like how the Kato lighting kits work). I just popped that shell section out carefully from the motor and pushed the wire tabs around a little and it worked. Just be careful with the diaphragm mechanism. The diaphragm is very hard to put back together, but it is not too difficult to partially pop up one shell section without disassembling the diaphragm.