platz ftoys working vehicles

platz ftoys is releasing a set of 10 working vehicles in 1/150 scale this april. looks to be a three of highway enforcement/working busses, three panel van trucks (space ranger hinos), and flat bed trucks w/ a small loading crane. there are 7 kinds and a surprise model so you get a random mix of 12. the pictures show the painting to be a bit on the rough size, bit like some of the bandai trucks were and not quite to tomytec level of quality, but perhaps these are just the preproduction models.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10177028

cheers

jeff

One appears to be similar to something I have been looking for.  Back in the 1980's I used to walk past the Russian Embassy in Tokyo on a regular basis and there was always a large gray "riot police" bus parked out front. 

I dunno, "Confectionery Contents: gum" doesn't make it sound like they're aiming at serious modelers. The rather crude structure and painting evident in the photos may be the finished product. At nearly $7 per truck, and likely a lot of duplicates, I'm not impressed.

That said, I need more trucks in my Tokyo, so I'm tempted to buy a set anyway.

Yes the gum puts it as a convienance store item, but many of those are quite good. The bandai star trains were remarkable models.

Jeff

I saw these... The Coaster minibuses are awesome but man the painting just looks terrible. I am still amazed at how crisp the detail and painting are on Tomytec models. I am honestly not holding out much hope that they will look better when they are released. But at the same time, the vehicles are quite small and from afar I am sure they will look fine.

im quite sure those pics are bad. platz make really good planes starwars and tanks they are some what good quality.

well the picts are pretty good in their quality, decent focus and depth of field. somethings are nice and sharp like the printing, but it looks like mainly the paint lines are pretty wobbly. perhaps these are just prototypes that were hand painted and the final ones will hopefully be pad printed to give better detail. similar scaled pictures of tomytec trucks show much sharper printing.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10131858a2/20/2

while these are small still tomytec has sort of set the gold standard on these for the detail and quality. i think they drove bandai out this way as bandai's were defintely cruder than tomytec but had a bit better paint lines than these platz picts do. we shall see!

cheers

jeff

These are the same Picts tha hs picked up to use.

The bad paint lines are the ones like around the window or the bumper stripes. These just look hand painted, not pad printed. Getting a bit bet up wouldn't make them look hand painted.

Rerun? Never saw these out before.

Jeff

yes these look to have much better paint lines around the windows and such which were not well done on the platz photos. perhaps they were just concept models and the pad printed ones are now out for show. these look as good or better than bandai and up there with the tomix.

cheers

jeff

if anyone is interested a few of these are up cheap on ebay right now individually along with a smattering of other japanese n scale vehicles. I was able to get the two police vans i wanted from this set w/o having to buy a set! the pictures make the painting to be quite crisp, and look on par with tomytec, we shall see when in hand.

http://stores.ebay.com/ampmgood/_i.html?_fsub=3392258016

cheers

jeff

ok so i grabbed the three of these vehicles i wanted (two emergency busses and a flat bed.) and they just arrived. i have to withdraw my earlier worries these were not looking very good quality. they are right up there with tomytec in detail and paint quality. very nicely done with nice interiors and such. only complaint is the one sized fits all plastic box insert does not hold the flat bed well.

im wondering if the flat bed with the crane and emergency lights might actually be a tow truck. ive seen this style of car rescue in a number of pictures from japan. they use either a longitudinal cross bar and then vertical cables down to the frame hook points or an H frame and some sort of wheel net on each wheel. then just lift the car up onto the flat bed.

so these are very nice vehicles, those early photos must have been really dodgy prototypes.

jeff