Kawasaki Cars Coming Along Nicely for DC Metro

Guest ___

Martijn Meerts

The 'color' of the 2nd one isn't bad, but I've always liked designs using only shades of grey. Guess it's a remnant of concept art drawn on light grey paper and using various tones of grey for shading ;)

The shape of the thing though ....

The front resembles the NYC subway cars. I'm not liking the NYC styling and color livery. I p[refer the brown stripe on the current fleet. Metro has this dual-theme going on. The old system, rolling stock and architecture is a lot of earth-tones and browns, where as the newer style consists of a lot of dull metals and glass. Now, if Metro would get off its ass, address customer safety, the escalators, protecting its revenue from itself, customer service and everything else they amy have a system.

• Like 1

If the seats aren't orange and mustard yellow naughahyde then I pronounce it "sucky."

Original DC rolling stock is the shizz nizzle.

There are very few train-sets that still have the mustard and brown interiors. They were phased out for new white interiors with red and blue seats when the 5000-serties started to arrive. As they came online, the 1000,-3000's were being removed for refit. Only a few sets of 1000 series Rohr cars who were refitted in the year prior to the CAF cars arriving escaped the new interior colors, and most of the 4000 Bredas still too new for their mid-life refit are in classic colors.

Mudkip Orange

I've actually ridden more than a couple refurb's that still have the original mustard yellow for the seat pairs right up against the cab... rest of the car is red and blue, but those ones escaped for some reason.

Those were the refurbs that were completed before the 5000s entered service. There are apx. 60 sets left according to the DCMetro yahoo group fan page. (40 are 1000-series, the other 20 are 4000 series.

Given the choice, I like the second one better than the first.  I would love to see the 3 colour schemes be included in the square blocks rather than white.

bikkuri bahn

tour of the interior:

Take a Poorly Spelled Tour of Metro's New 7000-Series Rail Cars

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority sent out a video this morning of General Manager Richard Sarles giving a tour of Metrorail's forthcoming 7000-series rail car. We first wrote about the new model back in January 2008 back when it was still on the drawing board.

In the video today, Sarles shows off several of the upgrades offered by the 7000-series cars, which were designed by Kawasaki Heavy Industries Rolling Stock Company of Japan and are being built in Lincoln, Neb. Among the improvements, Sarles says, are more comfortable seats, more poles for straphangers to grasp when the cars are full and LCD screens that when, Sarles says, "you arrive at a station will tell you not only that you're at that station but what you can find at that station."

http://dcist.com/2012/03/where_have_we_seen_metros_new_rolli.php

They'll enter service five years late, 40% over budget, and I'm sure the next stop and door side entrance signs will work only about 50% of the time. I order a 6000-series last week on the Red Line, the next stop indicators which are suppose to be GPS base were giving the next stops along the red line with green line stations. Arrows indicating left side doors, and the right doors opened (right side platform)  Hopefully, we do not have the issues we had with the 5000-series whcih were sidelined for nearly two years after we got them in due to software issues.

well there would be something terribly wrong in a western country if it wasn't laregely over budget..... name 1 major project in a western country that hasn't gone over budget in the last 20 years  :laugh:

nah just joking i'm sure there is one out there somewhere  ???

The interior colours look too NYC for me.  I do like the # of monitors indicating where station and services.

I wonder if BART will go for Kawasaki too?

I'm starting to agree more and more with the push to go with longitudinal seating opposed to side-by-side. The need for more standees is really dire.

well there would be something terribly wrong in a western country if it wasn't laregely over budget..... name 1 major project in a western country that hasn't gone over budget in the last 20 years   :laugh:

nah just joking i'm sure there is one out there somewhere  ???

Yes, that one normally: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge

And I think the Malmö rail tunnel also came under budget.