Modemo - New Releases

We don't have a Modemo thread, just a few about specific models and one last posted in back in 2008 about some delays.  So I started one.

It's not a new release, but HS has a couple of "Restock" entries for existing Modemo trams that have been out of production.  I don't know if it's a re-run or just some old stock they found, but they have the Setagaya Turquoise, the Enoshima Choco-Den, and several other models.

I already have both of the ones mentioned above, and I wish they'd re-run some of the older Setagaya trams so I could get a full set.  But if you don't have them they're worth looking at.  The mechanism is really visible, which is a negative.  But they're good runners and I like the modern look of the Setagaya in particular.

It was a good idea to open this discussion!

I do not have any Modemo trains or trams, although I almost bought the Green Mover in the last year in Stuttgart, but didn't like how it looks in the curves. Nevertheless I am very interested in Enoshima trams as I played a lot with these vehicles in Densha De Go on PC. I would like to have this one, do you have any experience with it?

ive got it and it appears to be their standard 3 truck mechanism. i have a lot of the modemos and no problems with them except the new green mover. as ken noted the mechanism is pretty noticeable in the windows, but unless you do something like kato has done with their protram its going to be hard to clear up the car. from a couple of feet you dont see the mechanism though! too bad modemo couldnt license the unitram truck from kato for use in their trams! would be a win for kato as unitram needs modemo trams to provide some variety of things to run on it. not sure how far kato is going to get into making trams in the long run.

the green mover has been a big disappointment. still going to sit down at some point and do a tear down and try some of the suggestions for getting it to run right. i really suspect its something that if put into the proper assembly it works ok, but any wrenching getting it in/out of the case of even on/off the track or rattled in the case causes it to slip out of alignment and you get this cascade of crankiness. it was a big leap for modemo to do this, but unfortunately they did not leap quite far enough... i am very glad i did not get greedy and order 2!

jeff

Thanks for posting this Jeff! I have a couple of Modemo trams and I think they are actually a really nice value.  In fact, I'm always tempted to get more! The Green Mover looks really great, but based on your experience and others, I decided to pass it up  :sad:

yes its very unfortunate. perhaps they are working on bettering it now -- we can hope -- as i really have to say a big NO on this one, especially with the big price. too bad as its better details that the hodei, but the hodei works, but you can only run it for like an hour or so as it does get warm!

cheers

jeff

Thanks for posting this Jeff! I have a couple of Modemo trams and I think they are actually a really nice value.  In fact, I'm always tempted to get more! The Green Mover looks really great, but based on your experience and others, I decided to pass it up  :sad:

What are your FAVORITE Modemos that you DO NOT HAVE?

I am looking at starting to stock the line in the USA and need some ideas as to what to get first!

Thanks,

Bob

What are your FAVORITE Modemos that you DO NOT HAVE?

I am looking at starting to stock the line in the USA and need some ideas as to what to get first!

All the Setagaya 300's that are out of production.  :cheesy

Which, unfortunately, you can't help me with since they are out of production.  I've got all the ones that were available over the last couple of years (apple green, turquoise green, blue and even pink, well they called it "cherry red" but it looks pink to me).

But, just objectively, those might be good to stock anyway.  They're a clean, modern-looking design (which is what attracted me in the first place), and could find a market even among people who aren't looking for Japanese prototypes.

Memorising the soon to be released Keihan 60 Type "Biwako Ltd. Express", I went on a lookout for video's on this model. It seems Modemo releases this model in honour of the restoration ( 復活 'resurrection' in Japanese) project from an original Keihan 60 Type. A video has been published by Neyagawa City Office (大阪府寝屋川市の公式) on the presentation of the restoration project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d945m1KMUrc

• Like 1

Memorising the soon to be released Keihan 60 Type "Biwako Ltd. Express", I went on a lookout for video's on this model. It seems Modemo releases this model in honour of the restoration ( 復活 'resurrection' in Japanese) project from an original Keihan 60 Type. A video has been published by Neyagawa City Office (大阪府寝屋川市の公式) on the presentation of the restoration project.

I want such television programs here!

But I have never seen such an excited reporter in my life until now. And that Keihan guy at the start seemed quite nervous. Not that it matters much.

And I learned that they use the time period with a year for time indication as well in Japanese, this is the perfect way to learn Japanese with those subtitles! They have subtitles in so many Japanese programs for some reason.

Anyway, restoration projects are always good!

I've gone a bit off-topic, but anyone going to get the model? I don't like it enough to get it, but it is a nice train.

I want such television programs here!

But I have never seen such an excited reporter in my life until now. And that Keihan guy at the start seemed quite nervous. Not that it matters much.

And I learned that they use the time period with a year for time indication as well in Japanese, this is the perfect way to learn Japanese with those subtitles! They have subtitles in so many Japanese programs for some reason.

Anyway, restoration projects are always good!

I've gone a bit off-topic, but anyone going to get the model? I don't like it enough to get it, but it is a nice train.

I'm thinking of doing so, however my N scale purchasing ardour has been tempered of lately both by the need to convert the fleet to DCC and by the news of new RTR stuff in HOn30.

Cheers NB

Gorgeous workmanship, pity she is going to be just a hangar queen (there is a moment in the film where you can see the lack of traction motors in the trucks). She would be too slow for the (busy-busy-busy) Keihan Main Line but they could run her on the Otsu division, would make another interesting weekend attraction in the Lake Biwa area.

I noticed that they added twin trolley poles - was this needed for the Otsu division, or did the trough service use Kyoto city trolley lines to get from division to the other?

Cheers NB

Sweet damn. These Tōkyū 150 are almost too cute to ignore... I can already see them in single, double and triple car formation in a sort of fictional Meitetsu-like interurban service. Maybe dragging a freight car or two along.  :love4:

• Like 1