KATO CV1

3railgreg

Hi All, anyone work with Kato's new CV1 oval layout? Looking to try something with it for tram work, maybe 2 for a dogbone style layout.

Comments?

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, they are great.  It can cater to almost all of the tram available right now including the Modemo GreenMover.

My Brawa Talent runs through it with no issue at all.

The train models that cannot negotiate the curves are the ones with wheels that are far apart.

to2leo, thanks for the response. It was what I was looking for. Just ordered a new Centram and I wanted to be sure it would negoitiate the CV1 curves. I'm into micro layouts, and I thought it would be fun to try. Hope to get to building something as soon as I finish my coffee table layout for at least the 4th time!! LOL.

I have purchased two CV1's which I intend to use at either end of my Kato Unitram layout so that I can use two controllers that will allow me to effectively create a up and down track just like that created in Blackpool UK (Blackpool Starr Gate to Fleetwood Ferry Terminal).

This will give the illusion of an extended tram system just like the real thing mentioned above, isolation and control being achieved by utilising the wiring detailed at the very bottom of Brian Lambert's Electrics Page on his site (http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical-2.htm).

It also gets away from the inevitable round and round the circle that the basic Unitram Starter Set provides.

Edited by lab1950

Just a few remarks: I think it's the same as with tomix tracks. The two larger radiuses will work. The kato R150 is almost the same as the tomix R140. Tomix also makes turnouts for their small radius rails and they are also R140. So anything that runs reliably on tomix R140 should run on kato, including larger stock like the a tomix 113 series emu. These can be recognised by the truck mounted rapido couplers. From the tomytec train collection everything will run on R140. The kato R117 and the tomix R103 is too much for most trains, so they should be avoided for anything above the 15m tomytec trains (and the special tomix hakone tozan emus) and kato/tomix low floor trams. Also, some older 2 wheel cars would have problems with S curves (including switches).

I've decided to pick up a CV1 and build a simple tram layout on foamcore to experiment with scenery and to allow breaking in my new Modemo trams.