ACME 'Tram de Milan' from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

to2leo

For those who might be interested, it looks like ACME is coming up with N Scale 1:160 Milan trams.  There will be 8 different models with a MSRP of 15 EURO each.  With this low price and coming from Europe, I believe it is safe to assume that they are all static models manufactured from China.  I have a HK bus model with a similar box and a street scene base just like it.

The description also suggest that you can create your own little long street scene by joining the street like base together with the other models.

Since ACME is an Italian company, can any of our Italian member provide us with more information about these models such as where to get them?  When will they become available?  Is ACME a good company?

I posted an youtube link and pictures below.  Please be aware that these are photos and video from Ferrovie.info and I don't own any of them.

For the video, feel free to jump to 03:27

post-60-13569930276894_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930277716_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930278159_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930278605_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930279034_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930279454_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi!

just a couple of infos..

ACME is a good company but until now only in H0 scale  :grin

the "big problem" of this company is the spare parts managing, until now you can only ask to reseller and wait.... wait... (if you are lucky 4-6 month, otherwise 1 or 2 years)

El tram de Milan will be soon available (next week), is a static model. I hope my reseller receive it soon so I can put some photos of mine (I just on pre-order all the 8 models)

I don't know if this will be available outside Italy, but don't worry, in case I can help you (and also Marco-Sportinglife I think..).

p.s. rumors (so I'm not sure that's can be true), in N scale is the first product from ACME (excluding the aborted ETR600/610 project), if this will be sold-out soon, maybe more static trains can be planed for the future (don't forget the ETR600 static has been already produced - limited special run for Freccia Argento service starting - like gift for Authority)

Ciao

Massimo

It looks like an ATM Ventotto (or 28). There were originally 502 of these cars, just under 200 are still on the property last time I counted. Two doors was the original configuration.  During the 30s these cars were changed over to 3 doors and almost all remain 3 doors.

Yellow and white is the current heritage inspired paint scheme.

Orange was the standard from the 70s until a couple of years ago (my favourite).

Green dates from the Mussolini years and lasted until the 1970s.

http://www.milanotram.com/Tram1500.htm

Here`s the prototype in action May 2010.

• Like 1
It looks an ATM Ventotto (or 28). There were originally 502 of these cars, just under 200 are still on the property last time I counted.

Bill, I didn't realise there were so many left in Milan. We have one of these cars in our museum fleet, although it has never actually arrived in Sydney. It was delivered to Melbourne for a civic event of some kind, and has never left!  :lipssealed:

Cheers,

Mark.

Yellow and white is the current heritage inspired paint scheme.

Orange was the standard from the 70s until a couple of years ago (my favourite).

I do agree, orange is the livery which fits best on the "28"; orange is both modern and classic, since it's already 40 years when it was first introduced. It seems there's just one left in orange the 1874. Pictures where taken on Feb 2nd 2012

post-555-13569930305377_thumb.jpg

post-555-13569930310159_thumb.jpg

We changed trains in Milan twice in 1998, but never got outside the station--I wish I had known about these trams.

There`s even a large loop just outside the station.

We changed trains in Milan twice in 1998, but never got outside the station--I wish I had known about these trams.

There`s even a large loop just outside the station.

Unless they have changed the lines, one could hop on a tram to Porta Genova station across town, on a line which skirted round the town centre, then return by Metropolitana. A ride on a 28 is something not to be missed... although they might be old ATM kept them in top shape and the motormen gave the cars no quarter. On private right-of-way they run like scared rabbits, the motormen seem to use only two notches on the controller  - "Off" and "Full Parallel". And if you sit behind the motorman you'll might be able to improve your knowledge of Italian with some spicy language, reserved for altercations with dumb motorists and recalcitrant point motors...

Cheers NB

Thanks Massimo for your description.  I also talked with my hobby shop in Germany and that it looks like the ACME's trams will be available outside of Italy.  I hope ACME can try the Tomytec route in that the motor and the shell can be sold separately.

I am excited by the number of people who are interested in this tram.  I rode them in San Francisco last year!

As for the ETR600 static models, I wouldn't think it will be a bad idea to just sell the shell, although I wonder whether the lack of demand is due to the quality issues of the real train.

Hi!

after 2 month with the same reply (next week, next week, soon, soon,.....wait, wait, don't worry.....)

finally "el Tram de Milan" is available.

if someone outside Italy want one or more...

http://stores.ebay.de/NAVITREN-1992?_trksid=p4340.l2563

this is an Italian Shop (and sincerly I don't know why they sell on ebay.de but that's all..)

If I find other sources for foreign buyers I let you know  :grin

ciao

Massimo

(I hope mine are already shipped...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I am travelling in Austria right now and am about to get to Germany,  Hopefully, it will be widely available when I arrived to my fav hobby store.  How does it stand in terms of quality? Any chance for them to produce a motorized version?

Leo

Thanks for the info.  I am travelling in Austria right now and am about to get to Germany,  Hopefully, it will be widely available when I arrived to my fav hobby store.  How does it stand in terms of quality? Any chance for them to produce a motorized version?

Leo

if you speak about motorized version or motor chassis directly from ACME, you can forget it

we (ASN members) just wait spare time to try to motorize it with kitbashed Kato 11-105/6/7 or Tomytec TM-TR01

more info soon (for now I've only the traking number on my hands... and a lot of motorized chassis to cut & paste)

maybe Sportinglife know better about quality...

ciao

Massimo

sportinglife

I've bought all of them but unfortunately they aren't in my hands yet! The friend who bought them for me, who lives in Milano, told me that they look very nice, maybe a bit "narrow" but it's just a feeling. The shell and the rivets are extremely well done, even considering that it's N scale. The roof is a bit too simplified, but it's OK. Note that the two green "three doors" and the two orange with pantograph are exactly the same model, just with different number. I'm gonna post some pictures as soon as they will be in my hands, finally  :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin

sportinglife

code number year line                                                     livery       doors captation         note

T001 1501 1927 20 P.le Loreto-Via Basilcata (Corvetto)                 yellow 2 trolley         black inscription

T002 1508 1928 1 Stazione Centrale-Corso Sempione                 light brown 2 trolley

T003 1636 1929 23 P.le Susa-V.le Umbria                            green        2 trolley         gold inscription

T004 1651 1964 24 Taliedo-Vigentino                                    green        3 trolley         white inscription

T005 1853 1970 8 P.le Bausan (Bovisa)-P.zza Tirana                    orange 3 trolley         white inscription/bumper

T006 1978 2000 5 Stazione Centrale -Ortica                             orange 3 pantograph         black inscription

T007 1758 1964 13 Viale Molise-P.le Corvetto                            green        3 trolley         white inscription

T008 1853 2000 9 Stazione Centrale-Stazione Genova                 orange 3 pantograph         black inscription

• Like 3
sportinglife

Finally they're in my hands! They looks very nice! Now I hope they will produce the current livery "canarina": yellow, three doors and pantograph. They've just to repaint the "pantograph orange" in yellow

That's great news, SportingLife.  Feel free to provide your feedbacks on this models.  Apparently, Germany model tram magazines are talking about them also, though I don't read German but was killing time in the train's station bookstore for hours...

sportinglife

The "Canarina" would be a simple repaint of the orange with pantograph (year 2000) and thou very easy to obtain. I wonder why they didn't issue a model clad in such livery which is nowadays ubiquitarious since orange has completely disappeared. Note that the current "Canarina" is slightly different from the original "Yellow" worn by 1501 since the original yellow has the doors border and some details on the tail in "light yellow" which are missing in the current livery (known as "simplified yellow" or "canarina" indeed). The historical "1503" still running in Milano for specials is different from both the original "yellow" and "simplified yellow" since it wears the "simplified yellow" of current canarina and it has a pantograph instead of trolley, but it has two doors like the 1501. This means that the current 1503 is another (and unique) "missing piece" to the collection that could be easily obtained by repainting the 1503 (two doors) and replacing trolley with pantograpgh. Decals with original advertisments (Cynar, Campari and many others) from late '60 to early '00 for the "3 doors" (both green and orange) would be appreciated as well.

sportinglife

Last green car disappeared in 1978! Orange was introduced in 1970 for trams and the first car to receive such livery was the #1853. Initially number were white (grey buffer), than cyan and eventually black number and orange buffer.

chrismears

I'm new to the forum but glad I joined. This model looks really sharp and I looked at the ebay.de link provided. The price sure is reasonable for a painted model. The windows look quite nicely done, are they simply painted onto the glazing?

Is the Italian shop the only online reseller for these?

Cheers

/chris