white glue to create water

Ok so i have been seeing for years now in japanese hobby magazines the use of good old plain white (pva) glue to simulate water. looks so easy, just paint your bottom colors or shades of blue or brown to suggest the water depths you want, then after thats dry just paint on some white glue on top to simulate the water surface and the first layer of more transparent water. also can build up little waves or ripples and such. mainly done on smaller modules or little mini layouts and dioramas.

ive been meaning to play with it myself and see how it works out but just have not gotten to it on the try this list. was wondering if anyone on the list had tried it yet.

i do worry that the white glue might yellow or eventually shrink or crack with time. dont know if a clear gloss lacquer coat would help protect it from changes in humidity/temp and uv exposure or not. most things do have a half life to do water stuff, just wondering where this is on the scale.

jeff

I'm not sure on what coating they do but i'm sure they do brush something over the top.

I actually have a beach water kit in my cupboard. It contains some kind of glue paste and a top coat, paints sand and rocks.

also a nice little instruction in japanese with real pics and it uses the item number so it is easy to identify what item to use in each step.

i can't find it on HS anymore but i will take a photo or two if you want.

Keitaro,

thanks, but i was just wanting to know specifically about regular white glue technique.

i have a feeling that your kit is just using white glue.

simple clear acrylic coating like a floor wax or artist clear gloss will probably work well for the final coat.

thanks

jeff

Guest JRF-1935

I'd really like some more info on this subject also.  I've also found that Future Floor Wax works best for the final coat - doesn't yellow over time. Also works well in the air brush

yeah futura and artist acrylic gloss medium are essentially the same stuff, clear acrylic polymer.

futura probably has some more uv protectants in it, but is not really meant for super long term, but folks report it not yellowing with age.

artist gloss im sure there are good stabilizers in there as that stuff is made to last.

jeff