tomix widetram questions

keitaro

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at making a curved bridge with road going 1 way on each side of the double track.

Currently i am thinking it would be easiest to intergrate this into a layout using the 280-45/317-45 as all other corners use this on the line.

However that itself creates issues with the bridge trying to make plates that will make this look like tram track over the bridge as part of the road.

It occured to me it would be easier to use the tomix wide tram track 177 -30/140-30 tram and mini curves (hidden in a mountain) on the layout some where.

This way it is easier for me to make the bridge as i can place some tram plates then place down some plaster and paint the road and track.

This then creates another issue of connecting the track up etc as once you change from set curves it's hard to match the rail back together.

What i want to know is will these curves - 30 cause derails on my trains i plan to run EMU's, kiha's like 6 car sets etc on it, not shinkansens.

I guess my hope is since it's only a 30 curve it won't cause much issues with running models.

Otherwise if i am going to have to go the other way and make track plates as well using the 280/317.

Martijn Meerts

You might see problems with trains that have their rapidos replaced with more prototypical couplers.

Apart from whether it causes derailing or not, an EMU going through 140 or 177 curves will look odd. I had a 3-car MicroAce DMU run through the smallest Minitrix curves, which are 194.6mm. It worked, but looked terrible ;)