Kato Portram and Centram pantographs?

Ken Ford

My first Kato tram is on the way right now, and I'm starting to think about the pans.  How do the stock pans look with overhead?  I'm not planning on making the catenary live, but I'm hoping the pans look good enough and run close enough to the wire to look good.  (The alternative would be to get Sommerfeldt pans and run dead wire.)

I assume the stock Kato trams are plastic?

I found a package of Sommerfeldt #969 pans, they look like they will be perfect on the Portram.  I need to build up some kind of base for the pan to mount them, I may be able to adapt the Kato base.  I'll post when I have some progress - I don't have a lot of modeling time right now!

Guest Closed Account 1

Study pantographs.

You might achieve the metallic look with scrap pieces of Kato interior light kit reflective material.

Study pantographs.

You might achieve the metallic look with scrap pieces of Kato interior light kit reflective material.

???

He's referring to the adhesive-backed reflective tape that came with Kato's bulb and older LED car interior light sets (not in the new V2 set).

It's a bit shiny for a pantograph though, and I think it has fairly think backing too.  Might be worth a try if you had some, but I'm doubtful.

I'm just not sure how it relates to replacing pantographs - I already have the Sommerfeldts on hand.