Kato Portram drive in a Tomytec Kumamoto Type 9700?

Ken Ford

From what I've read the Kato Portram drive has a few advantages over the Tomytec (slower speed, allows for partial interior.)  I also see Tomytec suggests their LRT-01 power unit for both their own Portram and Kumamoto trams.

Has anyone tried using a Kato Portram drive in a Tomytec Type 9700?

Thanks!

Ken

Not seen anyone do this. It's probably doable as they are basically the same shape, but the tomytec are designed to easily slip on the motor chassis and the kato are more integrated into the base of the kato shell. In theory it should work with some hacking and whacking.

Jeff

luckily they are pretty cheap. you can always have it for a display! or grab a tomytec mech, as they are pretty inexpensive as well.

the shell on the tomytec are pretty basic and open. i can snap picts of it if that would help.

jeff

The Tomytec LRT-01 motor and the Tomytec Kumamoto tram are outright cheaper than a KATO UNITRAM (w/ Motor) Again I haven't tried to place a KATO motor into a Kumamoto Tram (Type 9703) due to I think the Tomytec motor is better running and doesn't need to use a lot of controller speed than the KATO trams.