FL-12 Discovery of the Day

nik_n_dad

Was trying to install decoders (EM-13 & FL12) into a new train Nik got for Christmas (been waiting on decoders), and ran into problems with the cab cars.  It's a Kato ET425.  Unlike the EMUs, the motor car is in one of the cab cars, which makes for getting direction and correct lighting a bit more important.

1) It doesn't look like the FL-12s can be programmed on the main, although the EM-13 can

2) There doesn't seem to be a direction bit in the FL-12.  At least I couldn't seem to find it in the spotty documentation and changing it through the "config" option on the NCE DCC system didn't seem to do anything.

Of course since you can't read anything from the FL-12, it's hard to find out if anything happened when you (think you) programmed it.

kato10721.jpg

We'll run it tonight when Niko gets back from ski racing practice.  But in a quick test, it looks to be a decent runner.

Guest Closed Account 1

Its of the Kato Lemke designs so its going to be a high quality model and this one is a limited production collectible.

The FL12 directions are pretty clear in the photos which way in which car. It's not just inserting them opposite.

I'm surprised this one doesn't accept a 6 pin decoder like the other Lemke's.

The FL12 directions are pretty clear in the photos which way in which car. It's not just inserting them opposite.

I'm surprised this one doesn't accept a 6 pin decoder like the other Lemke's.

I might have had a bad decoder in there too.  One of them would light up the headlights in reverse, but nothing in forward mode.  And yes, this is (I'm pretty sure) the only European train we've had that didn't have a NEM651.

Guest Closed Account 1

I had a bum FL12. Kato will replace it so pack it up and send it with a letter.

I always buy an extra decoder to have on hand at a show.

CaptOblivious

I don't know if the FL12 can be programmed on the main, but basically the only thing to configure is the address, which has to be programmed on the service track anyway. You control the directionality of the FL12 by the direction you insert it into the slot. There is no CV for configuring this, it's all based on physical orientation. Have a look at the photos here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,951.0.html

You do know that I accept shots of scotch in exchange for installing EM13/FL12 decoders, right?

You do know that I accept shots of scotch in exchange for installing EM13/FL12 decoders, right?

No scotch in the pantry.  Just some Patron and some Crown.....

CaptOblivious

No scotch in the pantry.  Just some Patron and some Crown.....

I'm not picky. :)

Webskipper - r u there? Trying to glom onto a thread, that might be dead.

I opened my EM425s today. I bought the WM2011 and one of the regios. They are very nice. The WM2011 is a litlte noisier (more so in 1 direction) than the regio, but both are quieter than 113-2000 (10-807)

My question is, how do you like them, after runing them for a while? I looked at the drive (to see about the dang growl). It looks pretty weak. Is this the new Kato Lemke design?

It doen't need to pull like a big diesel, considering the size of the train, but it does need toull the emu and last a long time.

Also, did the lighting end up OK?

Guest Closed Account 1

Your new train just needs to run some. You'll hear a different sound running different directions in every loco especially a lone lead loco.

Are you asking about the lighting on the TGVs?

See the thread for that. I did figure it all out plus some more cvs.

Guest Closed Account 1

How can an FL12 be tested before shipping it back to Kato for warranty?

Every now and then I get one that just won't cooperate. Glad I keep and extra on hand.

Every now and then I get one that just won't cooperate. Glad I keep and extra on hand.

I've thought about building a test jig with some styrene and brass strip and a couple of LED/resistor sets so I could test these outside a car (I did this for the EM13), but they're simple enough that I haven't bothered, and just test them in trains.

I have found that positioning is critical, and it's easy to get them not-all-the-way-in, and not make proper contact (some cars seem more prone to this than others).

Regarding Ops-mode programming, the only things you can change on the FL12 are the address (and CV29 to select 4-digit addresses) and which function key controls the lights (F0, F3 or F5), plus enabling/disabling Transponding and doing a decoder reset.  I just tried changing the function, and it didn't work, but that's not a conclusive proof.

The big problem with the FL12 is that you can't read it on the programming track, because there just isn't enough of a load from a LED, and decoders use the load to vary the current they draw as a means of signaling.

CaptO, I've got a killer collection of bourbon. If you're ever in Indy maybe you could stop by and look at some Loksound installations I'm struggling with?

• Like 1

Have a problem with FL12 too, I install it on the narita express, one works fine(New) Second one I remove from the old model, but I dont member what  address it is. any advice how to reset it?

Even though the label says "Kato", it's made by Digitrax, so put it on the programming track, and set CV08 to 8.  That's the Digitrax "reset to factory default", which will set the address back to 3.

Guest Closed Account 1

Got another brand new faulty FL12. Has anyone found out why fail?

​It fails in both positions, white LED does not illuminate.

Has anyone found out why fail?

A decoder failiure could be caused by:

-reverse install (it gets the track power on its outputs)

-overvoltage DCC system (it should be between 12V and 16V, including voltage spike heights)

-overload on the outputs (used with an old bulb or modified led headlight)

-short on the outputs (the decoder moved around while installed and one of the output pairs got shorted by the contacts)

-static electricity during handling (only the track inputs are protected against it)

-or bad quality control, but this is unlikely