Layout idea - Help wanted!

Sir Madog

I ´ve got my hand on an old hollow core door, which had been cut down to 2 1/2´ by 6´- not a bad base for a new layout. I plan to put it on a frame with casters on the legs, so I can move it around (and make way, if I have to).

The only draw back at the moment is - I´ve run out of layout ideas. I have rummaged through my idea baskets, but I am not happy with what I found there.

Here are my givens & druthers.

Must fit on that door

Continuous running

Minimum radius 282 mm (should I use Kato Unitrack). Could be Peco code 55 track, as well.

Of course, Japanese themed

Steam is the focus, so the era is set somewhere in the early 1960´s

Maybe a "double-faced" concept One side having an urban setting, the other more rural

Curves should be hidden.

There should be space available for scenery - not only track, so an emphasis should be on scenery. I want a stage for my trains ...

Am I wanting too much? I am looking for an usual, but fascinating idea.

Help?

Guest Closed Account 1

How about an easy under 1% grade going up 3-4 laps crossing over to the other side, then descending?

At the top, you can have a town.

there were a few interesting little layout ideas by someone a year or two back on the forum that had some fun hidden grades on them with one side a small town scene, river in the middle and other side country/mountain.

jeff

Maybe a "double-faced" concept One side having an urban setting, the other more rural

Curves should be hidden.

There should be space available for scenery - not only track, so an emphasis should be on scenery. I want a stage for my trains ...

Am I wanting too much? I am looking for an usual, but fascinating idea.

I don't think you are.  And I like the two-sided idea.

How about an urban engine service facility/yard on one side where you can display trains and do switching, and a more scenic suburban/rural station on the other side where you can enjoy watching them run (with a freight track for setting out a car or two)?

You could hide the curves with tunnels on the suburban station side, and road overpasses on the urban yard side. That also leaves the two end areas as scenic areas without visible track (suburban houses, a temple scene, commercial district of city buildings, etc). And if you wanted, perhaps a point-to-point tram between the two ends (raised through the middle) on one side.

Sir Madog,

Have you got one of Armstrong's books?  Really great steam layout ideas, especially with yards.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks, guys!

I have a hard time to make up my mind as to what I really want. I know that I want to watch one or two steam trains run, have a station to stop and load/unload passengers, the minimum amount necessary for loco servicing and lots of "breathtaking scenery" - one side urban, one side rural (mountain).

Basically, a simple double track loop would serve the better part of my "wish list" - it´s the extras that I cannot come up with. The reason? Lack of space.

Here's something I came up with based on one of Mike's smaller plans.  The layout is divided into 2 areas with a backdrop.  Track used is Peco Code 55 sectional, so spacing is wide but it gives you an idea.  A large mountain gorge with double track bridge and a station with servicing facilities (mainly to show off a steam roster). 

The roundhouse butts against the backdrop and tracks extend under the mountain on the other side.  A building and a roadway overpass hide the tunnel entrances on the rural side.

Just a thought, but it seems to incorporate all you're looking for in the space alotted :)

post-210-13569930146088_thumb.png

• Like 1

Played a little with my track planning tool and came up with this:

ENTWURFh.jpg

It is a simple double track oval with two faces. One is a suburban scene set in the early 1970´s. The tracks are a little lower than the surrounding scenery, the station building going across the tracks with stairs leading down to the platforms. The second scene is a mountain scenery, with the tracks crossing a bridge over a little stream.

The layout will be set on casters, so I can turn it and move it.

Need to think about it!

Nice plan- I like how the curves are hidden, and the focus is on the straights, where the action/details exists.  The only thing I would add would be a very slight curve on the mountain scenery track (it makes the track seem longer than a tangent), but that requires flextrack.

Introduced some slight changes, including adding scenery to the corners. The layout now has 4 faces ...

ENTWURFh-2.jpg

Starting to like it ... :)

• Like 1

Bloody showoff!!!  :grin  :grin  :grin

I love what you've come up with, especially the lazy meander through the rice paddys.  Here's a few tweeks:

1. You mentioned that the layout was going to be steam.  How about some steam handling facilities?  Perhaps a coal loader on the city side and a water refilling station on the farm side, which would probably just be a davit and hose affair;

2. I suggest moving the ends of your walls just a couple of inches away from the corners of the table.  It creates a messy junction;

3. With four "faces" you could also have the four "seasons".  Eg: winter in the city, spring at the lake, summer on the farms and autumn at the temple ... in my opinion temples always look best in autumn.  The lake scene is small enough that you could throw in a grove of cherry blossoms with a young couple out for a romantic picnic under.

Madog, your graphics skills are pretty good too ... what software did you use to make that layout?

Just my thoughts!

Cheers

The_Ghan

I am using an old, el cheapo version of WinRail to do most of the work, export the file as a jpeg into MSPaint to enhance it a little - that´s all.

WinRail has a graphics feature which allows you to draw lines, boxes etc. With a little exercise you can draw things like those:

LOKIV-6.jpg

EndofthelineIb.jpg

ARGYLEROADVERSION6SHORT-1.jpg

Takes a little patience, though.

• Like 1

Great, now I feel like building a small layout with 4 seasons =)

Yeah Martijn, that was probably my one good idea for 2012 ... and I've used it up already!!  I'm thinking to do one myself, but I'm in the middle of a big project as it is.

I'm just waiting for Madog to churn out more fabulous scenery and then pretend it was no big deal.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

I have major difficulties designing my big layout.. Lots of rough ideas, but no idea about the details =)

A small layout with 4 seasons could be a nice in-betweener ..

Martijn,

it´d be a pleasure for me to help you with designing your layout.

I need a drawing of  your train room, and some hints towards what you would like to have included. and, of course, which track system you will employ.

• Like 1