British T-Track modules

IST

A few years ago I started to collect British model trains in N-gauge as I was in London 4 times, travelled on real trains and I quite liked it. I concentrates on the area southwest from London around 2000-2004, so my fleet contains some South West Trains Class 159, Class 170, Freigthliner Class 66s, etc. I always run these models on floor on my Unitrack tracks. Of course I planned a lot of layouts, but has no room and possibility to build them. Not to mention my modelling skills...

So after I found information about T-track I was thinking what would be if I would make some modules based on this system. I asked one of my friends who has good carpentry skill to build 2 modules to me as a start.

My aim with this topic to show some pictures about the building process, ask advices how to improve these modules.

(First part with pictures will arrive soon.)

• Like 2

Three pictures about the module, how it looks like, how can I set up the level. The size of the module is 308*210*70 mm, so quite small.

post-248-13569930110666_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930111026_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930111386_thumb.jpg

Ouch! This is beautiful carpentry, I wouldn't mind buying that on Internet. I don't have the necessary skill to build boxes like that.

My plan was to build a 2 track module with the alternate track spacing, so there are 33 mm between the 2 tracks which means I could use my double track Unitrack parts. The length of the module is good for a 248 mm track plus a 62 mm track.

First of all I put some marks on the module with a pen to know where should I lay the tracks. I used 2 sides tape to fix the track into the right position. I looked after screws also, but I did not like it, heads of screws were too big, so I only glued it into the module with the tape.

About the scenery my plan was to make a narrow road next to the track behind a fence, and a row of typical British houses. The road was made from a self-glued Noch product, which was too narrow although it was sold as an N-gauge product. I had to lay 2 stripe next to each other to reach the neccessary width of the road.

I bought few years ago some Metcalfe paper houses which I built it formerly, so it was easy to glue to the module. These houses have sidewalks, I did not have to make it separately.

post-248-13569930111742_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930112162_thumb.jpg

Ouch! This is beautiful carpentry, I wouldn't mind buying that on Internet. I don't have the necessary skill to build boxes like that.

I had to pay around USD 8.50 for 1 module which was a great price I think.

About the fence:

I also bought few years ago some Ratio fence plastic kit. It should be concrete fence, but without weathering it looks like a plastic fence. Another friend of mine show me a simple technic to weather items like this. Not the best method, but gives me acceptable result. I bought black crayon in an art shop and with a help of a sandpaper I got a lot of black powder. To held of this powder I used simple Tic-Tac box.

I collected little powder with a small and dry brush, but did not use it on the fence, but firstly on a simple paper until the brush contained very little powder. Then I started to "paint" the fence with it. When I did not like the result, I simply blow it from the fence and started from the beginning. To fix the powder on the fence I used my wife's hairspray as a glue.  :grin

post-248-13569930112794_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930113166_thumb.jpg

And the result...

I did not glue down the fence, nor the phone booth and the (Kato) tree, just put to the module to show better result.

After the first day, this was the result of my work. I will continue my story later...

post-248-13569930113525_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930113949_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work...the carpentry on those modules is outstanding...I really need to spend more time on this side of the layout construction on the next layout.

The module looks terrific...I'm thinking of doing more like this as well as the convenience and flexibility of these sorts of modules really appeals to me.

I'll second the motion on the carpentry, very neat.

One thing we have done with our modules is to have provision for adjusting the height from the top as once set up we find the modules need slight adjustment from time to time. We drill the bolt hole all the way through and use a hex socket grub screw that can be adjusted with an Allen key.

T-TRAK modules are great for modelling different eras or countries without having to build a whole layout, our club members have American, Japanese and British modules.

2nd part of the pictures:

After I glued down the track, the road and the houses and weathered the fence, I wanted to add some small details to give better looking to my small module. I asked one of my friend what glue would be great for putting cars, fence, etc and he recommended one (Pattex Palma Express) which is a white glue but dry out without any mark. So I grab some scenery items (Kato tree, Noch and Graham Farish figures, Oxford and Graham Farish cars, Hornby phone box) adn tried to settle these on and next to the road. I also glue down the fence, next to the track. It is too close, I think I should left much space between the track and the fence, but my models have enough place, so I don't really care. :-) The street will be a one-way road as it is quite narrow, this is why the Mini Morris cars are on the sidewalk.

post-248-13569930168536_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930168896_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930169251_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930169628_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930170005_thumb.jpg

Next time when I had a few hours free time, I grabbed a Ratio concrete hut kit, which I bought around 2 years ago. When I was traveling in the UK, I saw huts like this next to the track, mainly in bad condition, but I thought is would look and quite British on my modul. You can see the full kit on the first picture which contains 2 huts, but I used only one of these. The blue coloured door is my mistake, I think I should have to use dark green instead of blue.

To fix the parts to each other, I used a Kibri glue which I quite like because easy to use, strong enough and dry fast. I also weathered the hut and built a fence around it, also from a Ratio kit. After it I put these into my module, to see how it will look like. I think it is much better than the simply straight fence, isn't it? Around the fence I made some green area, but only a few weeks later.

post-248-13569930170648_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930171501_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930171829_thumb.jpg

post-248-1356993017225_thumb.jpg

I made a little other change on my module, a put a yellow advertisement sign into the wall of one house. And ordered some streetlight from Great-Britain.

As I bought few weeks earlier a new paper Metcalfe kit, I built it, but it was not an easy job. I have already built some type of Metcalfe kits, so I though that it will be a piece of cake, it was not. I was really-really lame with the glue, after half an hour work my hand contained much more glue than the kit, not to mention the table... So I ended up the suffering with the kit and continued it a few days later. It was a corner house, so I can close one end of the road on my 2nd module. I was thinking to make a pub instead of the store from this building, but my sober self won the battle. On the left side of the building you can see a gate to the backyard, I planned to put a car there, showing that it is going to behind the building.

On the last picture there are both two modules with other buildings as an imagination how the modules will look like.

(I am sorry because of using the different tenses, but I am a little bit confused. These modules was build in 2011, but I would like to show you the process in my point of view from that time when I was building them.)

post-248-13569930172616_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569930197861_thumb.jpg

post-248-1356993019825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

IST

excellent modules, looks very British right down to the mini half up on the curb!

great to watch the modules come together! keep on posting picts please!

cheers

jeff