Long time, no see!

Samurai_Chris

Samurai_Chris

Hi guys. Well time flies. Been back in Australia for 7 months and only now settling in. Sorry to Alvin and the Ipswich boys for not being available, but life kinda got in the way a bit.. But I hope in the future I will have time to start spending time with you guys!

Anyways, I have started to do a little with the project. But I am having a feeling that I may need to reconsider my tables ect.. I have started on something, but it will just need to be trial and eror for the time being.. Oh, and I miss Japan so much in regards to just going down the road and getting what I want cheap!

Here are a few pics of what I have done, as well as some vids I took..

2011-12-15155832.jpg

2011-12-15155843.jpg

Layoutstart01-1.png

Just playing with the camera and train speeds. My Micro Ace 317 lights on one end need to be sorted..

• Like 7

Hey welcome back! Nice little project but I can't identify on your plan the turnout one of your train takes in the videos.

Welcome back and nice start to the layout. Have to ask, where is the layout located? (in the 1st video there are some interesting doors in the background)

Chris's layout is located in Kyushu. The giving out details are: the trains, Fukuoka, Kokura and his own personal history. :)

Samurai_Chris

Chris's layout is located in Kyushu. The giving out details are: the trains, Fukuoka, Kokura and his own personal history. :)

Ha ha ha, that is true, but I think Bernard was asking in what part of the house...

I have a double garage in my house. But the car is sheltered under a car port out the front, so I have all that space for my trains!! :laugh:

• Like 1

A nice looking layout coming together there Chris. We figured you might be still busy settling in. We'll keep you updated about what the club's doing, I've PM'd you about our next 'meeting'.

Samurai_Chris
Ha ha ha, that is true, but I think Bernard was asking in what part of the house...

Silly me, I think you are right.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Its alright! You were actually very correct in some sort of way! lol

Alvin, I am getting your messages, so please know that I am happy that you still take the time to keep me updated!

Chris

Samurai_Chris

Ok, my garage is a pig stye at the moment while I have been constructing my tables, but I am happy to say that I atleast have some sort of track down.. Not exactly to plan, but will be improved down the road. I just wanted a simple track for my locals to run on, and I am still figering on a way to have a second level for the shinkansens to run on.. But I have a lot of mountain building before I am at that stage however..

Anyway, just a few pics.. As you can see I model almost anything, so forgive the mess..

2012-02-19200348.jpg

2012-02-19200314.jpg

2012-02-19200217.jpg

2012-02-19200150.jpg

2012-02-19200116.jpg

• Like 1

I'm afraid your planes are not at the good scale...

;-)

Nice track plan. I can't wait to see the rest.

The station part is really neat, the Kyushu feeling is definitely here! =)

Do you still plan to have a second loop for your Shinkansens?

Samurai_Chris

Hi, thanks.. I have one more table to install for the bottom right corner at the bridge. Currently I just have it turning to the left...

As for the Shinkansens, I have a feeling I am going to have to build something not thought of yet, but will need to build the bottom tunnels and mountains on this main line before I get to that point! I made is clear in my mind that I have never seen a Shinkansen take a bend, so I will not have a Shinkansen on my layout taking bends..

So you ask. How will I do it? I will be putting all bends in tunnels, and the only thing you will see is a 300km train going from one tunnel to the next in a strait line at speed!...

Still working all that out however...

It's all relative, by my standards your garage is immaculate. :grin

The layout is coming together well.

i was thinking the same  :laugh:

Yeah, that's not messy.  There's a reason you never see the rest of my basement in photos of my layout.  :grin

That said, hit the floor with a shop vac as often as possible.  It will help keep the dust on the layout down.  Just use one with a good filter (and an exhaust filter like some have might help; I'm not sure if they really do, but I use one).  Without a filter you'll just blow fine dust back into the air, which is worse than leaving it on the floor...

• Like 1
Samurai_Chris

Ok, I have the layout mocked up as to how I will want it to look.. There are few parts that look out of place (like the bridge) but that will all be sorted later. For now, I just wanted to get the shape right, and am happy at where I am at now with it..

I also have my Shinkansen track mocked up as well, and it will be a feature all its own as it will be above the main line.. All corners will be covered in mountains, as I have always stated that the Shinkansen should only be seen at full flight on a strait track.. So I feel I will have a nice feature when it is all completed.. I will be leaving room on the main line for any upgrades or suggestions others may have...

2012-02-24154447.jpg

2012-02-24154524.jpg

2012-02-24154604.jpg

2012-02-24154631.jpg

I agree with everyone else "that is one clean garage"!

One thing, the center viaduct that crosses over....how is the access to getting to the trains if there is a derailment?

Being straight track with no turnouts derailments there hopefully should be a minimum.

If a shinkansen derails there at full speed the wreckage will end up outside on the bonnet of the car anyway. :grin

I like your idea of keeping the Shinkansen separate from the 'normal' trains.

Samurai_Chris

Bernard, I will be covering the frame of the tables with hanging black cloth eventually, instead of boarding it all up. So access will be fine!

Alvin, that's funny. Although these crap Tomix controllers don't punch out much power. So they don't get up too fast. They can however be tampered with...

As for the Shinkansen idea. I simply wanted it to be a feature all its own, so will be happy when it is finally done! Only problem now is, that I wished I had built the far side against the wall, so am in a bind as to how I will get it over to that wall.. May need about 6 helpers!

Good luck with tomorrow too.. We have to head to the Sunshine Coast at 5:30am, purely because we are taking my parents and they want to leave early.. The funeral isn't until 9... But will be thinking bout your new digs...

I had a Kato 0 series Shinkansen take a curve at full speed on a members layout years ago and the rearmost cars were flung off the layout and ended up hanging from a lace curtain at the end of the room.

If all goes well tomorrow we'll be holding one meeting a month at the new venue but when you're ready we may be able to hold a layout moving meeting in your garage.

Samurai_Chris

Ha ha, I am not feeling the whole lace curtain thing in the garage in all honesty! :cheesy

Alvin, I may have to take you up on a meeting at home at some stage!

Ha ha, I am not feeling the whole lace curtain thing in the garage in all honesty! :cheesy

Alvin, I may have to take you up on a meeting at home at some stage!

I put it to the guys today and showed them the pics of your layout and they'll be in it, provided they get a run on the layout afterwards. :grin

Save me PMing you while I've got your attention, next meeting at the Ipswich Masonic hall next Sunday 04/02, today went well so we decided on having a meeting there first Sunday each Month and one in between at a member's home layout or working on the club layout at Denver's place.

• Like 1
Samurai_Chris

Well, I have to keep Sunday free then!

As for the layout, they might be disappointed as I have absolutely no wiring done, and am just running strait off the controllers..